Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Analogues applications between Windows Application to Linux Post 302924133 by gandolf989 on Thursday 6th of November 2014 12:38:23 PM
Old 11-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresguillen
Hi Guys
I have a network where exist differences windows applications like
Active Directory (to management the profile of each person)
DNS

Well, as you know for these applications the company must be, every year, buy licenses.
I want know what option exist I could test / evaluate with the aim of remove the AD and the DNS

I appreciate your comments / suggestion

Best Regards
I don't think that you need to choose between managing Linux and Windows servers. For example, you can use Active Directory to manage the usernames and passwords in Linux. I have used system with AD managing connections but I did not install or set that up. So I am not sure how to install it.

The thing you might want to focus on is maintaining a single sign on across all servers and workstations and making sure that everyone has access to the applications that they need and that they work.

Having said that, for me anytime I can kill something that only runs on Windows and convert to something that runs on Linux I would do just that. But you have to find the business need to migrate from one application to another.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing applications/commands on a unix server from a windows PC

i have a network drive (samba) mounted on to my PC and also i have SSH client on my machine. however i need to run applications/commands on a unix server from the middle of a different executable(windows compatable one). so i need to connect to the unix server from SSH through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What kind of security applications UNIX and Windows have in common?

Hi guys, may I know what kind of security applications do UNIX and Windows have in common? This is related to a project that is approaching its deadline, so would you all please be kind enough to help me? Thank You. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: austintham
0 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Porting Applications Using Windows SFU

I am trying to port a UNIX POSIX compliant application to Windows using Windows Services For UNIX version 3.5. The application is written in C and therefore I need to compile it using the cc command. I am running into many problems, but the one that specifically has me stuck right now is this.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidinsd
0 Replies

4. AIX

How can invoke applications on Windows machine from AIX server

Hi folks, Before I start explaning my problem let me tell you I am new to Unix environment. I am working on a application. It was developed in java (on Windows machine). But application for production will be deployed on AIX machine. One of my requirement is I need to invoke QTP scripts and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinrt
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

startX windows application during boot.....putty connection takes the windows

Dear all i am new to linux/debian i run my application on the computer...during startup in bashrc i wrk wid dis script to invoke startx..i do this above command and it works perfectly... if && ; then startx -- -br 1>/dev/null exit 0 fi i use winscp for file transfer and putty for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkat_330
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I rebuild applications that developed in UNIX? I need to use it in windows os with cygwin

I need to rebuild an application that developed in unix environment and run in windows OS with cygwin. so How can I rebuild from the source code? is there any one who said something on this regard? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejirond
2 Replies
KRB5-SYNC(8)							     krb5-sync							      KRB5-SYNC(8)

NAME
krb5-sync - Synchronize passwords and status with Active Directory SYNOPSIS
krb5-sync [-d | -e] [-p password] user krb5-sync -f file DESCRIPTION
krb5-sync provides a command-line interface to the same functions provided by the password and status synchronization plugin. It can push a new password to Active Directory (actually, to any password store that supports the Kerberos set-password protocol) or activate or deactivate an account in Active Directory. To synchronize passwords, provide the -p option and specify the password. Note that the password is given on the command line and must be quoted if it contains special characters, and the password will be exposed to any other users on the system where this command is run. This is useful primarily for testing and should not be used with production passwords. Synchronization to Active Directory will be attempted based on the configuration in krb5.conf (see below). To enable or disable an account, provide the -e or -d option respectively. These options can also be provided in conjunction with the -p option to take both actions at once. In either case, user should be the principal name for which these actions should be taken. user may be either unqualified or in the local realm; either way, the Active Directory realm in which to make changes will be taken from the krb5.conf configuration. Alternately, krb5-sync also supports processing actions from a file. To do this, use the -f flag and give the file on the command line. The format of the file should be as follows: <account> ad password | enable | disable <password> where the fourth line is present only if the <action> is "password". <account> should be the unqualified name of the account. The second line should be the string "ad" to push the change to Windows Active Directory. The third line should be one of "password", "enable", or "disable", corresponding to the -p, -e, and -d options respectively. The "enable" and "disable" actions are only supported for AD. The file format is not particularly forgiving. In particular, all of the keywords are case-sensitive and there must not be any whitespace at the beginning or end of the lines (except in the password, and only if that whitespace is part of the password), just a single newline terminating each line. When the -f option is given, the file will be deleted if the action was successful but left alone if the action failed. The configuration block in krb5.conf should look something like this: krb5-sync = { ad_keytab = /etc/krb5kdc/ad-keytab ad_principal = service/sync@WINDOWS.EXAMPLE.COM ad_realm = WINDOWS.EXAMPLE.COM ad_admin_server = dc1.windows.example.com ad_ldap_base = ou=People } If the configuration required for an action is not given, that action will not be performed but will apparently succeed from the perspective of the krb5-sync utility. Therefore, if this utility reports success but no change is happening, double-check the configuration to ensure that all required options are present. The "ad_keytab" option specifies the location of a keytab for authenticating to the other realm, the "ad_principal" option specifies the principal to authenticate as (using the key in the keytab), and the "ad_realm" option specifies the foreign realm. "ad_admin_server" is the host to contact via LDAP to push account status changes. "ad_ldap_base" specifies the base tree inside Active Directory where account information is stored. Omit the trailing "dc=" part; it will be added automatically from "ad_realm". OPTIONS
-d Disable the specified user in Active Directory. Requires that all of the ad_* options be set in krb5.conf. This option may not be specified at the same time as -e. -e Enable the specified user in Active Directory. Requires that all of the ad_* options be set in krb5.conf. This option may not be specified at the same time as -e. -f file Rather than perform a particular action based on a username given on the command line, read a queue file and take action based on it. The format of the queue file is described above. If the action fails, the file will be left alone. If the action succeeds, the file will be deleted. -p password Change the user's password to password in Active Directory. EXAMPLES
Disable the account "jdoe" in Active Directory (using the AD configuration found in krb5.conf): krb5-sync -d jdoe Change the password of the account "testuser" in Active Directory to "changeme": krb5-sync -p changeme testuser@EXAMPLE.COM The same, except also enable the account in Active Directory: krb5-sync -e -p changeme testuser Note that the realm for the user given on the command line is optional and ignored. Given a file named jdoe-ad-1168560492 containing: jdoe ad password changeme the command: krb5-sync -f jdoe-ad-1168560492 will change jdoe's password to "changeme" in Active Directory and then delete the file. SEE ALSO
The current version of this program is available from its web page at http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/krb5-sync/ <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/krb5-sync/>. AUTHOR
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> 2.2 2012-01-10 KRB5-SYNC(8)