Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX server showing high memory utilization Post 302924107 by vbe on Thursday 6th of November 2014 09:22:48 AM
Old 11-06-2014
If you have cstm installed:
Code:
 echo "selclass qualifier memory;info;wait;infolog" | /usr/sbin/cstm

or possibly
Code:
grep hysical /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

From what we see I assume its quite normal with the way the server is configured... to say if that is optimum is another thing... but to say more we need to know how much effective RAM you have ( the 2 snippets above... )
As I see you have some oracle structure, so if you are running some RDBMS instances then the shared memory stanza from :
ipcs -b or if you know the siz of SGA, will help see more clear...
Ah...
And what disks you use! (SAN?...)

Last edited by vbe; 11-06-2014 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: typo + ipcs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

High CPU utilization

Hi am facing high cpu utilization on my sybase server. I have P550 Number Of Processors: 4 Processor Clock Speed: 1656 MHz CPU Type: 64-bit Kernel Type: 32-bit LPAR Info: 1 65-D837E Memory Size: 7840 MB in topas it shows Name PID CPU% PgSp Owner dataserv 565264 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

3. AIX

Memory utilization of my Server

Hi, i have two oracle instances running on my server with 7.5G RAM but it is showing almost 99% memory is full as you can see bellow. # svmon size inuse free pin virtual memory 1974272 1954270 20002 336595 1800652 pg space 4194304 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanucit
7 Replies

4. AIX

Find Memory Utilization in AIX Server

How to find the memory utilization of AIX server using svmon -G output. Sample output for svmon -G command from my AIX test server, size inuse free pin virtual memory 4014080 3995443 18637 575916 1876393 pg space 1179648 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory conmsumption by Java server is very high on Linux compared to Soalris

Hello All, We have a jave server running on both linux and Solaris environments. On solaris,it consumes only 600-700MB whereas it goes upto 21G in Linux. I am monitoring the memory consumption through top command. Is this high memory consumption expected in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

6. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

7. Solaris

High Memory Utilization

Hello Guys, I have one Solaris server with high memory utilization >90%. As per checking, below is the output for memory usage. bash-3.00# ps -efo pmem,uid,pid,ppid,pcpu,comm | sort -r %MEM UID PID PPID %CPU COMMAND 1.7 29496 20668 1 0.0 /opt/app/iw-home/tools/java/bin/java 1.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Java process showing high virtual memory

Hi All, I have a java process which is showing high virtual memory utilization in client server. But the same process is showing comparitively lesser virtual memory consumption. I understand that virtual memory shown is not of much importance for the general user in normal condition, my client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mritusmoi
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server showing high Sys% CPU usage

Hi Fellas, Not sure how I can dig in even further but we notice that one of our DB servers is showing high Sys% CPU usage even though when I execute the following command : I can see that postgres is the only one using the CPU. So if anyone can advise me what would be the best way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies
hier(5) 							File Formats Manual							   hier(5)

NAME
hier - file system hierarchy DESCRIPTION
The HP-UX file system is a hierarchical tree organized for administrative convenience. Within the file-system tree structure, distinct areas are provided for files that are private to one machine, files that can be shared by machines, and home directories. There are two types of files that are shared: those that can be shared by multiple machines of a common architecture, and those that can be shared by all machines. This organization allows sharable files to be stored on one machine (the server), but accessed by many machines (clients). The following diagram illustrates the file system layout. Note that there are many directories that are not is this diagram, but are dis- cussed below. Diagram of Directory Layout |---- dev | |---- bin |---- etc | |---- bin | |---- ccs ------| |---- usr ------| |---- lib / ----| |---- lib |---- sbin | | |---- sbin |---- var | | |---- lbin |---- home | | |---- include |---- dict |---- opt | | | |---- share -----|---- lib |---- (export) | |---- man The following listing discusses a representative HP-UX directory hierarchy. Some HP-UX applications may add additional directories, which are not shown. / Root directory. /dev Special files (block and character device files); see mknod(1M). /etc Host-specific configuration and administration databases. /etc/opt Directory for application-specific configuration files. (Configuration information for optional packages.) /etc/rc.config.d Startup configuration files. /export Default root of exported file systems. Server only. /home Default root for user directories. /lost+found Storage directory for connecting detached files; for use by fsck(1M). /mnt Mounting point for local file systems. /net Mounting point for remote file systems. /opt Root of subtree for optional application packages. /sbin Essential system commands. Essential commands are defined as executables that are needed to boot the system and mount the file systems. A full complement of utilities is available only after is mounted. /sbin/init.d Startup and shutdown scripts. /sbin/rc0.d Link files to scripts in for entering or leaving run level 0. /sbin/rc1.d Link files to scripts in for entering or leaving run level 1. /sbin/rc2.d Link files to scripts in for entering or leaving run level 2. /sbin/rc3.d Link files to scripts in for entering or leaving run level 3. /stand Standalone binaries and kernel configuration files. /tmp System-generated temporary files; generally cleared during the boot operation. /usr Mount point for sharable user and system administration commands, libraries and documentation. /usr/bin Primary location for common utilities and user commands. /usr/ccs C compilation system. Tools and libraries used to generate C programs. /usr/ccs/bin Development binaries; includes cc, make, strings, etc. /usr/ccs/lib Development libraries. /usr/ccs/lbin Development backends. /usr/conf Kernel configuration files. /usr/contrib Directory for user-contributed (unsupported, internal) commands, files, etc. Files in this directory come from outside the local site or organization (for example, from users groups or HP service engineers). /usr/contrib/bin User-contributed commands. /usr/contrib/include User-contributed include files. /usr/contrib/lib User-contributed libraries. /usr/contrib/man User-contributed man pages. /usr/include Included header files, for C and other programs. Some subdirectories are listed below. /usr/include/machine Machine-specific C include files. /usr/include/nfs C include files for Network File System (NFS). /usr/include/sys Kernel related C-language header files. /usr/lbin Directory for backend executables to other commands. A backend executable is an executable that is generally not invoked directly by the user. /usr/lib Program libraries, object code and architecture-dependent databases. /usr/lib/nls Directory for Native Language Support. /usr/local Directory for site-local commands, files, etc. Files under this directory come from inside the local site or organization. See /usr/contrib for non-local unsupported commands and files. /usr/local/bin Site-local commands. /usr/local/lib Site-local libraries. /usr/local/man Site-local man pages. /usr/newconfig Default operating system configuration data files. This directory is a directory hierarchy mirroring New versions of customizable configuration files and databases are shipped here so as not to overwrite current versions. Files in this directory are copied to regular locations for newly installed systems. System administrators may wish to keep them for later reference. /usr/old Files and programs that are being phased out or are obsolete. /usr/sbin System administration commands. /usr/share Architecture-independent sharable files. /usr/share/dict Dictionaries for spell and ispell. /usr/share/lib Miscellaneous sharable libraries. /usr/share/man Online documentation. /var Root of subtree for "varying" files. These are files that are created at runtime and can grow to an arbitrary size. Some examples include log, temporary, transient, and spool files. /var/adm System administrative files, such as log files and accounting files. Some of the subdirectories are listed below. /var/adm/crash For saving kernel crash dumps. /var/adm/cron Directory for cron(1M) queuing. /var/adm/sw Default location for software distribution depot. /var/adm/syslog Log files generated by syslog. See syslog(3C) and syslogd(1M). /var/mail Incoming mail. /var/news Local-system news articles for news(1). /var/opt Root of subtree for varying files associated with optional software packages. /var/preserve Place where ex(1) and vi(1) save lost edit sessions until recovered. /var/run Files created when daemons are running. For example, the process ID (PID) file for syslogd, syslog.pid, is put here. /var/spool Miscellaneous directories for printer spooling, mail delivery, cron(1M), etc. /var/spool/cron cron(1M) and at(1) spooling files. /var/spool/lp Printer spool files. /var/spool/mqueue Outgoing mail and log files containing messages from the mail system. /var/spool/uucp UUCP spool directory. /var/tmp Application-generated temporary files. This directory generally is not cleared between system reboots. /var/uucp UUCP administration files. DEPENDENCIES
Some directories include commands or files not supported on all HP-UX implementations. SEE ALSO
find(1), grep(1), ls(1), whereis(1). hier(5)