Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove when date is higher
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove when date is higher Post 302924036 by Don Cragun on Thursday 6th of November 2014 02:19:53 AM
Old 11-06-2014
Perhaps something more like:
Code:
awk '
FNR == NR {
	if(substr($0, 7, 2) > max) max = substr($0, 7, 2)
	next
}
substr($0, 7, 2) <= max' input[12].txt

would do what you want.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove files with a date

I have files with a date name ( 20060506 20060507 etc..) that i want to remove because it keeps filling up the directory. Can someone please help me with a script to remove those date files. i would like to keep atleast 14 days worth from the current date. I hope i have explained it clearly and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: justintime
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove out date logs

hi all, i would like to write the shell script to remove the out-dated log my log file name will be like this: access_20050101.log access_20050102.log . . . access_20071007.log access_20071008.log access_20071009.log i has try to write the command as following, it will be remove the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove the date from the file

Hi I am getting the file which is having the format as follows: set-I abcxyz20080109 abc20080110 Set-II abc-20070109 abcxyz-20070110 I need to get only the file name without date as Set-I abcxyz abc Set-II abc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradkumar
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Remove logs by date

Hi I Need To Remove Logs Older Than April 1 St(4/1/2007) By Date I Have A Script To Remove 3 Months Old Like Using 90 Days Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvdev
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove files before certain date

I juz started to pick up unix nott long. What i am gonna do here is to try and remove some files before a date. (example 1st Oct 2008) Format of files name: fileA_2008MMDD I did a ls -lrt to list all the files Followed by rm 200801** .. .. ..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Attitude
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep 2000 and higher

i have content that looks like this: 0003326050 A E LITHO 0023823422 AMERICAN RED CROSS 0005713642 ARUP LABORATORIES 0003206450 CAEL 0002519930 CARDINAL HEALTH 0002619063 FISHER HEALTHCAR 0065203177 OWENS & MINOR INC 0016552938 STAPLES INC 0000002001 MSC... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for higher usage and mark it

Hi Gurus, I'm using HPUX B.11.23 U ia64 with sh shell. Is it possible to insert a word "Warning" in the end of this line if there is high percentage? For example: if the percentage is higher than 80%? Sample data: /dev/vgsap/TEST1 /oracle/TST/TEST1 9.89 GB 8.37 GB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

I m working on shell scripting and I m stuck where in my .txt file there is column as expiry date and I need to compare that date with system date and need to remove all the rows where expiry date is less than system date and create a new .txt with update. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stuti
1 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 bytes(3pm)