Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rsync move with symlinks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync move with symlinks Post 302924004 by huangyingw on Wednesday 5th of November 2014 04:33:05 PM
Old 11-05-2014
Rsync move with symlinks

Hi,
I use rsync to move from source to target, but there are cases that I need to exclude:
Suppose in my file system, I have a soft link ~/data -> /media/volgrp/data.
Under data folder, there is a file hello.txt.
After moving command "rsync --remove-source-files -aH --force ~/data/ /media/volgrp/data/"
I found that the hello.txt file is deleted, this is not what I want.
Is there any way to exclude this case?
Could some one provide me with a shell script to exclude, or to test whether two folders are actually the same folder?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

search and replace symlinks

Hello All, Assuming i have a thousand symlinks under directory /mydir (and its sub-dir) such as: mysymlink1 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink1 mysymlink2 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink2 How can I search the string "myfoo" and replaced with "yourfoo" such that after the operation is complete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixrock
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Symlinks?

Please don't laugh or call me a fool... I'm trying to set up a script that will go through my Music File directory and generate a set of symbolic links in a directory called "What's New". Within that directory there will be a "30 Days", "3 Months", "6 Months" and "A Year" directories. Within... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symlinks

Given a filename, is it possible to know haow many symbolic links are pointing to it? How can I tell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ct1977
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash rsync but move not delete

There might be an easy solution to my problem, or maybe not, but here it is. I am trying to rsync a Volume with 1.5 terabytes of data and send it via fibre channel to a raid array. Now normally when I rsync it scans through everything and, before copying anything, deletes any files that have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Movomito
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserve timestamp of symlinks using rsync

Hi, In my shell programming, When i copy sym links from one server to another server using rsync it does not preserve time stamp . it showing current time after copying in destination server.the command i used is rsync -vaR -- How can i preserve sym links time stamp using rsync. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find + Symlinks = me confused

So i have read the man pages a few time. Searched google but I am not quite sure i understand all the lingo. What i want to do is list all files on / except i dont want any symlinks (because if I am searching / I will find the "true" file...correct?) So there is the -P, -H, and '-type l'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move directory recursive and leave symlinks at source

Looking for a script or command to - Move a very large directory with tens of thousands of files and sub-directories recursively (filenames can include spaces) and replace with symlinks pointing to the new location at the same time so there is no downtime Looking for speed + safety :o (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync and Move files

I Have a requirement where i have to sync two directories one on source location server A and other on destination location server B as i do not have ssh access from server A----------->B I am doing rsync from server B, The Requirement is as follows Two directories on the source and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
4 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)