Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving Virtual Machine Files from one SSD to Another Post 302923829 by Corona688 on Tuesday 4th of November 2014 04:45:44 PM
Old 11-04-2014
If possible I would pick option 2, since that allows you to use the new ext4 filesystem, which supports online defragmentation. That can be important for virtual machines. But just copying the files has one problem.

There's very little "magic" about UNIX/Linux filesystems which won't be immaculately duplicated with a proper backup/restore, but sparse files is one of them. They will "explode" in size from all their sparse parts suddenly not being sparse anymore. Are your virtual machine disk images stored as sparse files? An easy way to check is to compare its size in ls -lh filename with its size in du -hs filename... A sparse file could be many gigabytes smaller according to du than ls since ls only knows its length.

Sparse files is also one of the times you'd really want ext4, since their random-ish patterns of use and writing can fragment worse than other files.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Is there any Virtual data center as we have Virtual Machine?

Do we have any Virtual Data Center software as we have Virtual Machine? I want to practice everything of Solaris practically but i don't have resources like data center which includes Servers, Data storages, switches, and other things. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files from a dir in one machine to a dir in another machines

Hi, I am a unix newbie.I need to write a shell script to move my oracle READ WRITE datafiles from one serevr to another. I need to move it from /u01/oradata/W1KK/.. to /u01/oradata/W2KK, /u02/oradata/W1KK/.. to /u02/oradata/W2KK. That is, I actaully am moving my datafiles from one database to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathews
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Virtual Machine

Hi All, In my Org we are using Xen Hypervisor on RHEL 5.Now now the biggest challenge for us is to take online snapshot of running VM Guests.But this feature is not available in Xen. So i am trying to figure it out with some of the blogs found on net,in one blog its saying to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Change hostID of Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine installed by Virtual Box 4.1.12 on Windows-XP host

Trying to set or modify the randomly set hostID of a Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine that I installed on a Windows-XP host machine (using Virtual Box 4.1.12). I was able to set/modify the hostname of the Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine during installation as well as via the Virtual Box... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matt_VB
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

My RHEL virtual Machine Does not have Virtual Machine Manager Desktop Tool

My RHEL virtual Machine Does not have Virtual Machine Manager Desktop Tool Hi, I don't seem to have the Virtual Machine Manager Desktop tool set up on my RHEL6 Machine. The Linux machine runs off VMWare player and I'm not sure whether it is a VMWare software issue or a problem with the RHEL6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: accipiter1
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual machine

Can I please get some recommendations on virtual machine software? I am using Fedora. What do you think is the best software and why? I need a windows virtual machine to run some windows software. What do you think is the best Windows version to use and why (xp, vista, 7, 8, 8.1)? Is it hopefully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies

9. SCO

Moving SCO Virtual Machine in VMWare Environment: Critical Licensing Error Messages

Some years ago our company chose to run a critical proprietary app under SCO Unix. My predecessor tried to move A SCO Unix virtual machine from our dedicated VMWare environment to a shared Cloud VMWare environment. My predecessor received licensing messages from these critical servers so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timfox1234
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Providing virtual machine priority in kvm based virtual machines

Hi All, Is there any way I can prioritize my VMs when there is resource crunch in host machine so that some VMs will be allocated more vcpu, more memory than other VMs in kvm/qemu hypervisor based virtual machines? Lets say in my cloud environment my Ubuntu 16 compute hosts are running some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayK
0 Replies
E2IMAGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							E2IMAGE(8)

NAME
e2image - Save critical ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem metadata to a file SYNOPSIS
e2image [ -rsI ] device image-file DESCRIPTION
The e2image program will save critical ext2, ext3, or ext4 filesystem metadata located on device to a file specified by image-file. The image file may be examined by dumpe2fs and debugfs, by using the -i option to those programs. This can assist an expert in recovering cat- astrophically corrupted filesystems. In the future, e2fsck will be enhanced to be able to use the image file to help recover a badly dam- aged filesystem. If image-file is -, then the output of e2image will be sent to standard output, so that the output can be piped to another program, such as gzip(1). (Note that this is currently only supported when creating a raw image file using the -r option, since the process of creating a normal image file currently requires random access to the file, which cannot be done using a pipe. This restriction will hopefully be lifted in a future version of e2image.) It is a very good idea to create image files for all of filesystems on a system and save the partition layout (which can be generated using the fdisk -l command) at regular intervals --- at boot time, and/or every week or so. The image file should be stored on some filesystem other than the filesystem whose data it contains, to ensure that this data is accessible in the case where the filesystem has been badly damaged. To save disk space, e2image creates the image file as a sparse file. Hence, if the image file needs to be copied to another location, it should either be compressed first or copied using the --sparse=always option to the GNU version of cp. The size of an ext2 image file depends primarily on the size of the filesystems and how many inodes are in use. For a typical 10 gigabyte filesystem, with 200,000 inodes in use out of 1.2 million inodes, the image file will be approximately 35 megabytes; a 4 gigabyte filesys- tem with 15,000 inodes in use out of 550,000 inodes will result in a 3 megabyte image file. Image files tend to be quite compressible; an image file taking up 32 megabytes of space on disk will generally compress down to 3 or 4 megabytes. RESTORING FILESYSTEM METADATA USING AN IMAGE FILE
The -I option will cause e2image to install the metadata stored in the image file back to the device. It can be used to restore the filesystem metadata back to the device in emergency situations. WARNING!!!! The -I option should only be used as a desperation measure when other alternatives have failed. If the filesystem has changed since the image file was created, data will be lost. In general, you should make a full image backup of the filesystem first, in case you wish to try other recovery strategies afterwards. RAW IMAGE FILES
The -r option will create a raw image file instead of a normal image file. A raw image file differs from a normal image file in two ways. First, the filesystem metadata is placed in the proper position so that e2fsck, dumpe2fs, debugfs, etc. can be run directly on the raw image file. In order to minimize the amount of disk space consumed by a raw image file, the file is created as a sparse file. (Beware of copying or compressing/decompressing this file with utilities that don't understand how to create sparse files; the file will become as large as the filesystem itself!) Secondly, the raw image file also includes indirect blocks and directory blocks, which the standard image file does not have, although this may change in the future. Raw image files are sometimes used when sending filesystems to the maintainer as part of bug reports to e2fsprogs. When used in this capacity, the recommended command is as follows (replace hda1 with the appropriate device): e2image -r /dev/hda1 - | bzip2 > hda1.e2i.bz2 This will only send the metadata information, without any data blocks. However, the filenames in the directory blocks can still reveal information about the contents of the filesystem that the bug reporter may wish to keep confidential. To address this concern, the -s option can be specified. This will cause e2image to scramble directory entries and zero out any unused portions of the directory blocks before writing the image file. However, the -s option will prevent analysis of problems related to hash-tree indexed directories. AUTHOR
e2image was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu). AVAILABILITY
e2image is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
dumpe2fs(8), debugfs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.14 December 2010 E2IMAGE(8)