Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: batch replace a portion of text in files Post 302923708 by menteith on Tuesday 4th of November 2014 07:13:07 AM
Old 11-04-2014
Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
I'm unsure if a uncompressed pdf document is plain text.
I think you are right. Unpacked pdf file looks like a plain text file but it is still probably a binary file. However, the tool I used to unpack (pdftk) claims that unpacked file can be edited by a simple text editor:

Quote:
Uncompress PDF page streams for editing the PDF in a text editor (e.g., vim, emacs)
pdftk doc.pdf output doc.unc.pdf uncompress
When I run your script, it shows some binary characters and crashes. I also thought of using awk but as far as I know it works only if a file is plain text.

Could you have a look at the pdf I have attached in my first post?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace portion of file names

Hey all, So I know you can easily find and replace words and strings in text files, but is there an easy way to find and replace just a sub-portion of text in the file name. For example, in a directory I have tons of file names that start with F00001-0708, and I want to change all the files to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and add/replace text in text files

Hi. I would like to have experts help on below action. I have text files in which page nubmers exists in form like PAGE : 1 PAGE : 2 PAGE : 3 and so on there is other text too. I would like to know is it possible to check the last occurance of Page... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : replace multiline text between two marker points

Hi there I just wondered if someone could give me some perl advice I have a bunch of text files used for a wiki that have common headings such as ---++ Title blah ---++ Summary blah ---++ Details Here is the multiline block of text I wish to (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl one liner to replace text

Not quite a unix question but problem in a perl command. Taking a chance if someone knows about the error cat 1 a b c d perl -p -e 's/a/b/g' 1 b b c d What is the problem here?? perl -p -i -e 's/a/b/g' 1 Can't remove 1: Text file busy, skipping file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to replace the text in the original file

Hi Folks, I have an html file which contains the below line in the body tagI am trying the replace hello with Hello Giridhar programatically. <body> <P><STRONG><FONT face="comic sans ms,cursive,sans-serif"><EM>Hello</EM></FONT></STRONG></P> </body> I have written the below code to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell or perl script to replace XML text in bulk

Hi, I am looking for assistance over shell or perl (without XML twig module) which replace string in XML file under particular branch..example of code file sample.. Exact requirment : Replace "Su saldo es" in below file with "Your balance" but only in XML branch of Text id=98 and Text Id=12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashu_099
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to add portion of text to files in directory using numerical match

In the below bash I am trying to rename eachof the 3 text files in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/percent by matching the numerical portion of each file to lines 3,4, or 5 in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/analysis.txt. There will always be a match between the files. When a match is found each text file in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Required to get a portion of a text

Hello Gurus, I have a filesystem like below : /u03/oracle/EBSDEV/fs1/EBSapps/appl I want to get only the portion of the above text like below... /u03/oracle/EBSDEV Can you please advice on this? Thanks- P (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
5 Replies
Text::PDF::TTFont0(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Text::PDF::TTFont0(3pm)

NAME
Text::PDF::TTFont0 - Inherits from PDF::Dict and represents a TrueType Type 0 font within a PDF file. DESCRIPTION
A font consists of two primary parts in a PDF file: the header and the font descriptor. Whilst two fonts may share font descriptors, they will have their own header dictionaries including encoding and widhth information. INSTANCE VARIABLES
There are no instance variables beyond the variables which directly correspond to entries in the appropriate PDF dictionaries. METHODS
Text::PDF::TTFont->new($parent, $fontfname. $pdfname) Creates a new font resource for the given fontfile. This includes the font descriptor and the font stream. The $pdfname is the name by which this font resource will be known throughout a particular PDF file. All font resources are full PDF objects. out_text($text) Returns the string to be put into a content stream for text to be output in this font. The text is assumed to be UTF8 encoded and the return string is a glyph sequence for the text. If subsetting is enabled, then all the glyphs returned are also marked for output. out_glyphs(@n) Marks the glyphs as being needed in the output font when subsetting. Returns a string to render the glyphs as specified. width($text) Returns the width of the string, assuming it to be UTF8 encoded. outobjdeep($fh, $pdf, %opts) Handles the creation of the font stream including subsetting at this point. So if you get this far, that's it for subsetting. ship_out($pdf) Ship this font out to the given $pdf file context empty Empty the font of as much as possible in order to save memory perl v5.8.8 2006-09-09 Text::PDF::TTFont0(3pm)