Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed multilines + separator confusion !! Post 302923458 by RudiC on Monday 3rd of November 2014 05:10:08 AM
Old 11-03-2014
There have been presented umpteen solutions to similar problems in these fora. In this case, and for exactly your sample (which BTW has 89 fields per line), try
Code:
sed ':A;/,$/!N; s/\n//;tA'  /tmp/sed_example.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed confusion

Hello all, I am trying to delete all the lines in a particular file having a pattern. The problem is that it has special characters and for some reason is not doing the job. For eg. src_file /home/test/filelist.txt :xxxx:ogog /home/test/RCH/ogogogg /home/test/RYHUJ/HHHH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to change date separator with sed

Hi there I am trying to convert some date seperators in a large newline delimited file. each line i am interested in has a date in the format 27/05/2009 all I want is to convert the slashes to tildes(~) I have come up with the following code but it does nothing. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RadRod
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed - Get Separator From String

Hi All, I have the following data in a korn shell variable: a="FirstValue|SecondValue|ThirdValue" The value between "FirstValue", "SecondValue" and "ThirdValue" can change, in this case is a comma: "," and I need to print it only once. I need to know what is the separator value. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to convert multilines to single lines

Hi, I need to create an script which reads multi lines and convert it to single line or enter escape sequence at end "\". e.g. #!/bin/sh echo -e "provide me query to run" read query create table test( id int(11), name char); echo $query But it's failing because of multi line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a separator

My txt file consists of records with 6 numbers followed by 3 characters. Is there a simple “sed” which will insert a | separator between the 6th and 7th position ? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Singleline to Multilines

Hi All, Could you please help to get the below output: Input: J1,ELLA_1,ISDR,JJK,TRS J2,ROSTER,JACK J3,HUP ... ... ... Output: J1,ELLA_1 J1,ISDR J1,JJK J1,TRS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed confusion

#!/bin/bash X=(0 2 4 6 7 0 0 0 0) Let me just say from the start that sed confuses the hell out of me! In the above line of code how can I use sed to remove all of the 0's except the first one? I have tried sed -e 's/*$//g' but it removes all of the 0's. Thank you in advance for any and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If then statement confusion

#!/bin/bash PH=(KD 6S TC 3D) #playerhand TCIP=(AH) #topcard in play A=( "${TCIP::1}" ) # A B=( "${TCIP:1}" ) # H C=8 for e in ${PH}; do if ]; then echo "$e " >> /home/cogiz/validcards.txt else echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cogiz
1 Replies
XmStringGetNextSegment(3X)												XmStringGetNextSegment(3X)

NAME
XmStringGetNextSegment - A compound string function that fetches the octets in the next segment of a compound string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> Boolean XmStringGetNextSegment (context, text, tag, direction, separator) XmStringContext context; char **text; XmStringCharSet *tag; XmStringDirection *direction; Boolean *separator; DESCRIPTION
XmStringGetNextSegment fetches the octets in the next segment; repeated calls fetch sequential segments. The text, tag, and direction of the fetched segment are returned each time. A Boolean status is returned to indicate whether a valid segment was successfully parsed. Specifies the string context structure which was allocated by the XmStringInitContext function. Specifies a pointer to a null terminated string. Specifies a pointer to the font list element tag associated with the text. Specifies a pointer to the direction of the text. Specifies whether the next component of the compound string is a separator. RETURN VALUE
Returns True if a valid segment is found. SEE ALSO
XmStringCreate(3X), XmStringInitContext(3X) XmStringGetNextSegment(3X)