Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed multilines + separator confusion !! Post 302923452 by yogeek on Monday 3rd of November 2014 02:35:51 AM
Old 11-03-2014
Wrench sed multilines + separator confusion !!

Hi Seders,

i am new to this forum, but i think it's quite the best place to post.
So, here is my pb :

I have a csv file, with comma separator and text enclosed by ".

First pb is with text in " ......... ", wich sometimes includes lines break, and commas
And to complicate a little more, there can have many text fields on one line.

Which make it difficult to pushup lines and keep the good field number.
Which also make it impossible to use /,{87}/ s/....// to filter complete lines.

i spend quite a big time trying to reformat the lines using sed , but without success.

The file comes from gmail contacts, and is 88 fields ( so 87 separators ) .

You'll find an example file in attachment

I feel quite lost on this one, so any help highly welcome,
thanks in advance
Yogeek

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed confusion

Hello all, I am trying to delete all the lines in a particular file having a pattern. The problem is that it has special characters and for some reason is not doing the job. For eg. src_file /home/test/filelist.txt :xxxx:ogog /home/test/RCH/ogogogg /home/test/RYHUJ/HHHH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to change date separator with sed

Hi there I am trying to convert some date seperators in a large newline delimited file. each line i am interested in has a date in the format 27/05/2009 all I want is to convert the slashes to tildes(~) I have come up with the following code but it does nothing. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RadRod
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed - Get Separator From String

Hi All, I have the following data in a korn shell variable: a="FirstValue|SecondValue|ThirdValue" The value between "FirstValue", "SecondValue" and "ThirdValue" can change, in this case is a comma: "," and I need to print it only once. I need to know what is the separator value. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to convert multilines to single lines

Hi, I need to create an script which reads multi lines and convert it to single line or enter escape sequence at end "\". e.g. #!/bin/sh echo -e "provide me query to run" read query create table test( id int(11), name char); echo $query But it's failing because of multi line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a separator

My txt file consists of records with 6 numbers followed by 3 characters. Is there a simple “sed” which will insert a | separator between the 6th and 7th position ? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Singleline to Multilines

Hi All, Could you please help to get the below output: Input: J1,ELLA_1,ISDR,JJK,TRS J2,ROSTER,JACK J3,HUP ... ... ... Output: J1,ELLA_1 J1,ISDR J1,JJK J1,TRS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed confusion

#!/bin/bash X=(0 2 4 6 7 0 0 0 0) Let me just say from the start that sed confuses the hell out of me! In the above line of code how can I use sed to remove all of the 0's except the first one? I have tried sed -e 's/*$//g' but it removes all of the 0's. Thank you in advance for any and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If then statement confusion

#!/bin/bash PH=(KD 6S TC 3D) #playerhand TCIP=(AH) #topcard in play A=( "${TCIP::1}" ) # A B=( "${TCIP:1}" ) # H C=8 for e in ${PH}; do if ]; then echo "$e " >> /home/cogiz/validcards.txt else echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cogiz
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)