Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge two input files and concatenate the rest Post 302923348 by jabriel on Saturday 1st of November 2014 11:57:53 AM
Old 11-01-2014
Hi Don and ni2, thank you so much for your feedback and help. It is seem Don's method is suitable for my case.

Thanks again guys.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate 0kb files from the rest!!!

Hi All, Can you please tell me how to identify a 0kb file from a list a files and redirect only those files to a .txt file. ls -l shows me all the 0kb files...but how to redirect only those files.. Thanks for ur help, Kumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to concatenate multiple files based on the rest of ls -lrt

uadm@4132> ls -lrt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 3811819 Jun 6 04:08 data_log-2010.05.30-10:04:08.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 716246 Jun 13 01:38 data_log-2010.06.06-10:04:08.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 996 Jun 13 04:00 data_log-2010.06.06-10:04:22.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 7471 Jun 20 02:03... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have directory structure sales_only under which i have multiple directories for each dealer example: ../../../Sales_Only/xxx_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/yyy_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/zzz_Dealer Every day i have one file produce under each directory when the process runs. The requirement... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanmuthu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

Hi, I want to create a batch(bash) file to combine 23 files together. These files have the same extension. I want the final file is save to a given folder. Once it is done it will delete the 23 files. Thanks for help. Need script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge of two input file by search

Hi i am running a issue with the way i handel open file in perl i have the following input file <File1> D33963|BNS Default Swap|-261564.923909249| D24484|BNS Default Swap|-53356.6868058492| D24485|BNS Default Swap|-21180.9904679111| D33965|BNS Default Swap|154181.478745804|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have a file named "file1" which has the following data 10000 20000 30000 And I have a file named "file2" which has the following data ABC DEF XYZ My output should be 10000ABC 20000DEF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

7. Programming

STL algorithm merge() function to concatenate char arrays

When the STL generic algorithm's merge() function is used to merge two char arrays, the output is not as expected. Below is the program I tried with. #include <iostream> #include <algorithm> #include <cstring> #include <deque> #include <iterator> using namespace std; int main() { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment.

- Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment. - I need to concatenate 3 files which have the same characters in the beginning and have to remove those files and add a comment and the end. Example: cat REJ_FILE_ABC.txt REJ_FILE_XYZ.txt REJ_FILE_PQR.txt >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge input from two files into one based on conditions

Using Linux (bash), I have two files which contain information about berries. Example: file1.txt: Blueberry blue 14 Raspberry red 12 Blackberry dark 4 file2.txt Blackberry sour 4 3 Blueberry tasty 12 78 Strawberry yummy 33 88 I want to merge these two files into one. The desired... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
5 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)