Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Experimental awk audio converter for CygWin and AudioScope.sh Post 302923291 by wisecracker on Saturday 1st of November 2014 05:41:39 AM
Old 11-01-2014
Hi shamrock...
The signed 16 bit decimal equivalent cannot go less that -32768 and no greater than 32767.
The centreline is zero.

Add 32768 to the signed decimal to shift the centreline to 32768, the minimum now sits at zero and the maximum at 65535.

Divide the result by 256 gives a centreline of 128, minimum of zero and maximum of 255.
Try it and find out.

Nothing more sinister, and accurate enough for a further quantise to 4 bit depth for AudioScope.sh...

HTH...

---------- Post updated 01-11-14 at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous update was 31-10-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

Got it into one block realising that the numbers already exist as numbers and not strings...
I am happy with the results now and shaved off another two tenths of a second execution time...
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# 16to8bit_new.sh
> /tmp/sample.raw
> /tmp/leftbinary
> /tmp/signed16bit.txt
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/sample.raw bs=1 count=176400 > /dev/null 2>&1
od -td2 -An /tmp/sample.raw > /tmp/signed16bit.txt
awk --characters-as-bytes 'BEGIN \
{
	BINMODE=3;
	FS=" ";
}
{
	if ($1=="")
		exit;
	# $1,$3,$5,$7 are the left hand channel.
	# $2,$4,$6,$8 are the right hand channel.
	$1=(int(($1+32768)/256));
	# $2=(int(($2+32768)/256));
	$3=(int(($3+32768)/256));
	# $4=(int(($4+32768)/256));
	$5=(int(($5+32768)/256));
	# $6=(int(($6+32768)/256));
	$7=(int(($7+32768)/256));
	# $8=(int(($8+32768)/256));
	printf("%c%c%c%c",$1,$3,$5,$7) > "/tmp/leftbinary";
	# printf("%c%c%c%c",$2,$4,$6,$8) > "/tmp/rightbinary";
}' < /tmp/signed16bit.txt

EDIT:
Now tested on CygWin and completes the cycle in around 1.5 seconds. Highly acceptable...

Last edited by wisecracker; 11-01-2014 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: See above...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row to column converter using Awk or grep?

Hello, Can someone please help me on this.:confused: I have a file which has more than 1 million lines (XML file). What I need is: Search for "abcd" in the input file > output the result into a output.txt (colloum1) Search for "efghi" in the input file > output the result in to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
3 Replies

2. Slackware

Problems with audio recording in Audacity 2.0.5. Slackware64 14.1; Intel HD Audio.

I'm trying to record audio using Audacity 2.0.5 installed from SlackBuilds. My system is 64-bit Slackware 14.1 and a sound card is Intel HD Audio. I didn't change my sound system to OSS. (Default sound system in Slackware 14.1 is ALSA, isn't it?) First, I set Internal Microphone slider in KMix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzxcvbnm
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

AudioScope...

Boy oh boy, with only a MONO mic input to use AudioScope gets much more difficult when the ALTDC board is included. It needs, so far, two hits at the MIC input with a single hit at the HEADPHONE audio output. The first at the highest practical resolution for the AC component and the second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command awk under CYGWIN

One my friend wrote one script on his machine linux, when I try to use it under cygwin I recive one error about the command awk. Is there someone can suggest me the way to fix the error? The script is wrote using gawk and I have no idea what kind of comand is used by cygwin. This is the script:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
8 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

AudioScope Project.

AudioScope Project. (Apologies for any typos.) For the few following...... AudioScope.sh... Now at Version 0.60.00. Well this baby has come a long way since its inception in January 2013. It is now at Version 0.60.00. It is MUCH more Apple centric now with a new OSX Sierra minimum _silent_... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
7 Replies
ENCRYPT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							ENCRYPT(3)

NAME
encrypt, setkey, encrypt_r, setkey_r - encrypt 64-bit messages SYNOPSIS
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE #include <unistd.h> void encrypt(char block[64], int edflag); #define _XOPEN_SOURCE #include <stdlib.h> void setkey(const char *key); #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <crypt.h> void setkey_r(const char *key, struct crypt_data *data); void encrypt_r(char *block, int edflag, struct crypt_data *data); Each of these requires linking with -lcrypt. DESCRIPTION
These functions encrypt and decrypt 64-bit messages. The setkey() function sets the key used by encrypt(). The key argument used here is an array of 64 bytes, each of which has numerical value 1 or 0. The bytes key[n] where n=8*i-1 are ignored, so that the effective key length is 56 bits. The encrypt() function modifies the passed buffer, encoding if edflag is 0, and decoding if 1 is being passed. Like the key argument, also block is a bit vector representation of the actual value that is encoded. The result is returned in that same vector. These two functions are not reentrant, that is, the key data is kept in static storage. The functions setkey_r() and encrypt_r() are the reentrant versions. They use the following structure to hold the key data: struct crypt_data { char keysched[16 * 8]; char sb0[32768]; char sb1[32768]; char sb2[32768]; char sb3[32768]; char crypt_3_buf[14]; char current_salt[2]; long int current_saltbits; int direction; int initialized; }; Before calling setkey_r() set data->initialized to zero. RETURN VALUE
These functions do not return any value. ERRORS
Set errno to zero before calling the above functions. On success, it is unchanged. ENOSYS The function is not provided. (For example because of former USA export restrictions.) CONFORMING TO
The functions encrypt() and setkey() conform to SVr4, SUSv2, and POSIX.1-2001. The functions encrypt_r() and setkey_r() are GNU exten- sions. NOTES
In glibc 2.2 these functions use the DES algorithm. EXAMPLE
You need to link with libcrypt to compile this example with glibc. To do useful work the key[] and txt[] arrays must be filled with a use- ful bit pattern. #define _XOPEN_SOURCE #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { char key[64]; /* bit pattern for key */ char txt[64]; /* bit pattern for messages */ setkey(key); encrypt(txt, 0); /* encode */ encrypt(txt, 1); /* decode */ } SEE ALSO
cbc_crypt(3), crypt(3), ecb_crypt(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2003-04-04 ENCRYPT(3)