Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . . Post 302923274 by LinQ on Friday 31st of October 2014 05:01:10 PM
Old 10-31-2014
Thanks, folks, for the clarifications and input.
Quote:
If the shell would find the \ outside a 'string' it would quote the next character, so you would need \\\\ in your perl code -> Perl passes \\ to the shell -> the shell passes \ to sed -> sed finds \|
You should really do that in Perl...
Thanks, MadeInGermany, for the smile. I do agree; but I also truly love Monty Python Smilie

Thanks again; and have a great weekend!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

possible to escape the \ character in sed?

is it possible to escape the \ character in sed? right now I'm trying to replace all occurances of \ with \\ sed \"s|test|test_replacement|g\" file1 > output; #this works fine sed \"s|\\|\\\|g\" file1 > output; #this generates the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 17:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for Sed Syntax problem

I have one File named "txt_file" # cat txt_file <DBType>RT</DBType> <AppType>RT</AppType> -------------------------------------------------- I want replace "<AppType>RT</AppType>" to <AppType>XY</AppType> in txt_file and output redirect to Newfile ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax for sed searches

I am aware that Perl has a lot of features that originally came from sed and awk. I have a pattern that I am using like this: sed -n '/|Y|/p' I want to do the same thing in Perl and be able to either save that value in some kind of variable or array or potentially write it out to a file. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: masinick
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Replacing $1 with $2 escape problem

Hi all, I have a script which uses sed to replace one string with another. The problem is, the string to be matched, and its replacement are coming in as two command line arguments $1 and $2 $1 and $2 can be absolutely anything, but both should be treated purely as strings. My sed command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to escape (|) character

my @array; my $sepa = "|"; print $sepa; open FH, "<100_20091023_2.txt"; while(<FH>){ push @array, split(/\$sepa/, $_); print "@array\n\n"; } I am not able split the line which have | separated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sed in perl!!

Hi, I am facing an issue with sed in perl. I have a file which has 2 header lines and one trailer line. I need to process the file without these headers and trailer. My file looks like : File.txt:- Header1 Header2 data1 data2 trailer For removing header and trailer from file I am using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisharma23
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with using a sed to add escape character \ before $ and ' symbols

Hi all, I've got a problem with sed. Want to use it to add escape character \ before $ and ' symbols so condition='1'$some will become condition=\'1\'\$some echo "condition='1'$some" | sed 's/\($\)/\\\1/g' is not working properly. Can somebody help me with this please? Regards,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johny_be_good
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to escape % with sed?

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 I searched "how to replace dot by % using sed" but no luck. file My.Name.Is.Earl Expected output My%Name%Is%Earl I tried: sed -i "s|.||g" file sed -i "s|.|{%}|g" file sed -i "s|.|\%|g" file I'd appreciate your help Thank you Boris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
syntax(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 syntax(3)

NAME
syntax - Activate syntax extensions VERSION
version 0.004 SYNOPSIS
# either use syntax 'foo'; # or use syntax foo => { ... }; # or use syntax qw( foo bar ), baz => { ... }; DESCRIPTION
This module activates community provided syntax extensions to Perl. You pass it a feature name, and optionally a scalar with arguments, and the dispatching system will load and install the extension in your package. The import arguments are parsed with Data::OptList. There are no standardised options. Please consult the documentation for the specific syntax feature to find out about possible configuration options. The passed in feature names are simply transformed: "function" becomes Syntax::Feature::Function and "foo_bar" would become "Syntax::Feature::FooBar". METHODS
import syntax->import( @spec ); This method will dispatch the syntax extension setup to the specified feature handlers for the calling package. import_into syntax->import_into( $into, @spec ); Same as "import", but performs the setup in $into instead of the calling package. unimport syntax->unimport( @features ); This method will trigger uninstallations of the @features from the calling package. unimport_from syntax->unimport_from( $from, @features ); Same as "unimport", but will uninstall the @features from $from. RECOMMENDED FEATURES
o Syntax::Feature::Function Activates functions with parameter signatures. SEE ALSO
Syntax::Feature::Function, Devel::Declare BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to bug-syntax@rt.cpan.org or through the web interface at: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=syntax AUTHOR
Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek <rs@474.at> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2012-05-18 syntax(3)