Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters Post 302923232 by shamrock on Friday 31st of October 2014 11:21:23 AM
Old 10-31-2014
Can't you fix these extended ascii chars in your C program and avoid this post-processing...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace in ASCII file

Greetings.... I'm looking for the command and syntax to search files, several actually, that will find the string pattern "\0;" and delete it. I have over 200 files to change :o Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karpolu
2 Replies

2. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extended ascii problem

hi i would like to check text files if they contain extended ascii characters within or not. i really dont have any idea how to start your kind help would be very much appreciated thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smooth
7 Replies

5. AIX

Printing extended ASCII

Hi All, I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font. Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

7. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended ASCII Characters keep on getting reintroduced to text files

I am working with a log file that I am trying to clean up by removing non-English ASCII characters. I am using Bash via Cygwin on Windows. Before I start I set: export LC_ALL=C I clean it up by removing all non-English ASCII characters with the following command; grep -v $''... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies
ASCII-XFR(1)							Linux Users Manual						      ASCII-XFR(1)

NAME
ascii-xfr - upload/download files using the ASCII protocol SYNOPSIS
ascii-xfr -s|-r [-ednv] [-l linedelay] [-c characterdelay] filename DESCRIPTION
Ascii-xfr Transfers files in ASCII mode. This means no flow control, no checksumming and no file-name negotiation. It should only be used if the remote system doesn't understand anything else. The ASCII protocol transfers files line-by-line. The EOL (End-Of-Line) character is transmitted as CRLF. When receiving, the CR character is stripped from the incoming file. The Control-Z (ASCII 26) character signals End-Of-File, if option -e is specified (unless you change it to Control-D (ASCII 4) with -d). Ascii-xfr reads from stdin when receiving, and sends data on stdout when sending. Some form of input or output redirection to the modem device is thus needed when downloading or uploading, respectively. OPTIONS
-s Send a file. -r Receive a file. One of -s or -r must be present. -e Send the End-Of-File character (Control-Z, ASCII 26 by default) when uploading has finished. -d Use the Control-D (ASCII 4) as End-Of-File character. -n Do not translate CR to CRLF and vice versa. -v Verbose: show transfer statistics on the stderr output. -l milliseconds When transmitting, pause for this delay after each line. -c milliseconds When transmitting, pause for this delay after each character. file Name of the file to send or receive. When receiving, any existing file by this name will be truncated. USAGE WITH MINICOM
If you want to call this program from minicom(1), start minicom and go to the Options menu. Select File transfer protocols. Add the fol- lowing lines, for example as protocols I and J. I Ascii /usr/bin/ascii-xfr -sv Y U N Y J Ascii /usr/bin/ascii-xfr -rv Y D N Y AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl Jukka Lahtinen, walker@netsonic.fi SEE ALSO
minicom(1) $Date: 2006-10-28 14:35:59 $ ASCII-XFR(1)