Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters Post 302923179 by ysvsr1 on Friday 31st of October 2014 12:04:21 AM
Old 10-31-2014
uname -a

Code:
Linux xxx.com 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 6 03:10:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Locale

Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace in ASCII file

Greetings.... I'm looking for the command and syntax to search files, several actually, that will find the string pattern "\0;" and delete it. I have over 200 files to change :o Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karpolu
2 Replies

2. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extended ascii problem

hi i would like to check text files if they contain extended ascii characters within or not. i really dont have any idea how to start your kind help would be very much appreciated thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smooth
7 Replies

5. AIX

Printing extended ASCII

Hi All, I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font. Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

7. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended ASCII Characters keep on getting reintroduced to text files

I am working with a log file that I am trying to clean up by removing non-English ASCII characters. I am using Bash via Cygwin on Windows. Before I start I set: export LC_ALL=C I clean it up by removing all non-English ASCII characters with the following command; grep -v $''... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies
LOCALE(1)							 Linux User Manual							 LOCALE(1)

NAME
locale - get locale-specific information SYNOPSIS
locale [option] locale [option] -a locale [option] -m locale [option] name... DESCRIPTION
The locale command displays information about the current locale, or all locales, on standard output. When invoked without arguments, locale displays the current locale settings for each locale category (see locale(5)), based on the settings of the environment variables that control the locale (see locale(7)). Values for variables set in the environment are printed without dou- ble quotes, implied values are printed with double quotes. If either the -a or the -m option (or one of their long-format equivalents) is specified, the behavior is as follows: -a, --all-locales Display a list of all available locales. The -v option causes the LC_IDENTIFICATION metadata about each locale to be included in the output. -m, --charmaps Display the available charmaps (character set description files). To display the current character set for the locale, use locale -c charmap. The locale command can also be provided with one or more arguments, which are the names of locale keywords (for example, date_fmt, ctype- class-names, yesexpr, or decimal_point) or locale categories (for example, LC_CTYPE or LC_TIME). For each argument, the following is dis- played: * For a locale keyword, the value of that keyword to be displayed. * For a locale category, the values of all keywords in that category are displayed. When arguments are supplied, the following options are meaningful: -c, --category-name For a category name argument, write the name of the locale category on a separate line preceding the list of keyword values for that category. For a keyword name argument, write the name of the locale category for this keyword on a separate line preceding the keyword value. This option improves readability when multiple name arguments are specified. It can be combined with the -k option. -k, --keyword-name For each keyword whose value is being displayed, include also the name of that keyword, so that the output has the format: keyword="value" The locale command also knows about the following options: -v, --verbose Display additional information for some command-line option and argument combinations. -?, --help Display a summary of command-line options and arguments and exit. --usage Display a short usage message and exit. -V, --version Display the program version and exit. FILES
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive Usual default locale archive location. /usr/share/i18n/locales Usual default path for locale definition files. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
$ locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL= $ locale date_fmt %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y $ locale -k date_fmt date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale -ck date_fmt LC_TIME date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale LC_TELEPHONE +%c (%a) %l (%a) %l 11 1 UTF-8 $ locale -k LC_TELEPHONE tel_int_fmt="+%c (%a) %l" tel_dom_fmt="(%a) %l" int_select="11" int_prefix="1" telephone-codeset="UTF-8" The following example compiles a custom locale from the ./wrk directory with the localedef(1) utility under the $HOME/.locale directory, then tests the result with the date(1) command, and then sets the environment variables LOCPATH and LANG in the shell profile file so that the custom locale will be used in the subsequent user sessions: $ mkdir -p $HOME/.locale $ I18NPATH=./wrk/ localedef -f UTF-8 -i fi_SE $HOME/.locale/fi_SE.UTF-8 $ LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale LC_ALL=fi_SE.UTF-8 date $ echo "export LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale" >> $HOME/.bashrc $ echo "export LANG=fi_SE.UTF-8" >> $HOME/.bashrc SEE ALSO
localedef(1), charmap(5), locale(5), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 LOCALE(1)