Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Downloading and installing (new to Ubuntu OS) Post 302923032 by xabbu on Thursday 30th of October 2014 01:29:32 AM
Old 10-30-2014
Hi Marniwild,

why did you install python from scratch? Use the packagemanager if you can.
apt-get or aptitude

example:
Code:
apt-cache search python #for python 2.x

or
Code:
apt-cache search python3 #for python 3.x

It is much easier and faster.

Don't forget to run
apt-get update first. This will get the newest packagedescriptions and update the cache.

Best regards
xabbu

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-30-2014 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems Downloading and Installing Stuff

HI to everyone, I have been for a very long time in my life a GUI user, and now that i have to use a Solaris 5 terminal, i am not sure how to do some things: Downloading stuff from the internet: How do i do that? in a GUI you just click on the link and start downloading automatic, but i have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
4 Replies

2. Ubuntu

installing hula on ubuntu

i trying to install hula onto my ubuntu but it seems to be not working. i follow through every instructions which i found from the net but is still not working. As i have already install allthe necessary dependency! Below are all the dependency i have install: debhelper (>= 4.0.0),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thms_sum
0 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Ubuntu in the same partition as Vista

Hi , I hav a laptop with Vista, i need to install Ubuntu along with vista on it. But the problem is tht i donot hav a hard drive partition. though i have abt 70 gb of free space. the only other partition is "recovery" one, so i cnt play with it how shld i perform the installation ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay61286
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Installation issue while installing ubuntu

Hi All As i m trying to install ubuntu on my virtual PC where h/w confg is as 5GB didk n 512 mb RAm. after selecting mode option, and after pressing F6 after that screen shows some msg. And not goes to next step. What is the problem n wht i shall do?? Please provide me solution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Installing md5 package into ubuntu

Hi i want to install md5 package into ubuntu. any idea how? Apparently applying md5sum and md5 on a string (not a file) gives a different value! The one that I need to use is the md5 command, but it says command not found when i type md5 in bash. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jremio
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Installing Ubuntu

Hi all- I'm getting ready to install Ubuntu onto my Sony Vaio laptop and had a few questions for which I have not yet found the answer. 1)Should I partition my hdd myself (including a swap partition) in Windows or should I do this when installing Ubuntu? When I do partition, since I have over... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gatsby
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Question about installing Cinnamon in Ubuntu

Hi, If I install Cinnamon according to the instruction in the following link: Ubuntu + Cinnamon - A good idea? No. A great one. will I still have unity, and will I still be able to choose unity when my ubuntu will start? Thank in advance ---------- Post updated at 09:48 PM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Installing latest Ubuntu on my desktop

I wish to install the latest ubuntu on my desktop. How do I go about doing this ? Also how do I create the superuser or admin once the installation is done ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundaresh
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Installing UBUNTU on USB stick

I'd like to install the OS on my stick. I would like to be able to save my works there and install apps or customize the OS. What can I do Ps. At home I use an iMac, but in the school where I work there are only PC... Ty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fabio_Puricelli
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Downloading and installing a very old version of gcc

I would like to acquire a very old version of gcc: 4.4.3 and set it up in such a way that I can use the update-alternatives command to switch between my current version and the older version. I believe I may have found a website where I can download 4.4.3 from. However, I am not sure what all I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
6 Replies
APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)

NAME
apt-show-versions - Lists available package versions with distribution DESCRIPTION
apt-show-versions parses the dpkg status file and the APT lists for the installed and available package versions and distribution and shows upgrade options within the specific distribution of the selected package. This is really useful if you have a mixed stable/testing environment and want to list all packages which are from testing and can be upgraded in testing. apt-show-versions uses caching for the status information of installed and available packages. If you run apt-show-versions as root the cache is updated as needed. If you run as non-root uses the newest available information, but can't update the cache. If you run as root with the option -i the cache is initialized or updated only. SYNOPSIS
apt-show-versions [-h] [[-p] package name] [-a] [-b] OPTIONS
If you don't give any options the status of all installed packages is printed. -p package, --package=package Print available and installed versions for specified package. You can also specify a package name without the option -p. If -p and a package name are missing, all installed packages are displayed. -r, --regex interpret package from option -p as a regex. -R, --regex-all like --regex, but also show matching packages which are not installed -u, --upgradeable Print only upgradeable packages -a, --allversions Print all available versions of the selected packages -b, --brief Print only package_name/distribution for upgradeable packages -v, --verbose Prints out messages about which Package files are parsed. -i, --initialize Initialize or update package cache only (as root). Do this every time when the status of the installed or available packages has changed. Initialization is done automatically on installation of the package and via a cron.daily job. -stf file, --status-file=file Use file as the dpkg status file instead of /var/lib/dpkg/status -ld directory, --list-dir=directory Use directory as path to apt's list files instead of /var/state/apt/lists/ or /var/lib/apt/lists/ -h, --help Prints out command-line help. EXIT CODES
0 No error 1 Wrong usage 2 apt-show-versions has been called with exactly one package and upgradeable option set, but package is uptodate. As no output has been requested, this case gets signaled using the exit code. 255 Unspecified error EXAMPLES
If you want to know for all your installed packages whether they are uptodate or upgradeable, use: apt-show-versions If you want to have a list of all upgradeable packages: apt-show-versions -u To get a list of all available versions of libc6: apt-show-versions -a -p libc6 To get information about several packages: apt-show-versions dpkg apt apt-show-versions -r ^texlive To upgrade all packages in testing: apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | fgrep testing` AUTHOR
Christoph Martin, martin@uni-mainz.de SEE ALSO
apt(8), dpkg(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-10-26 APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)