Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What should I format my SSD with? Post 302922863 by mrm5102 on Tuesday 28th of October 2014 06:22:21 PM
Old 10-28-2014
Great Info Corona, thanks for the reply..!

Ok cool, you definitely told me quite a few things I wasn't aware of for SSDs before... When you said the ext4 doesn't need to be unmounted in order to defrag it. Do you mean you can Defrag it from within the Windows VM while its booted up? Or is that from within my Linux Host OS, *i.e. my laptop's Linux OS? Sorry, I don't think I've ever tried to defragment a Disk before from within Linux, done it on Windows many many times, just never with Linux.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated!

Thanks Again,
Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Using SSD in FreeBSD

Now that SSD drives are becoming mainstream, I had a few questions on installing a SSD drive in a FreeBSD environment. Can FreeBSD be made SSD aware, that is, somehow let FreeBSD know that reads and writes should be limited or deferred to extend the disk's life? Is there a setting for wear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

2. Hardware

Use of SSD for serving webpages

I have seen research articles and forum postings that demonstrate that SSDs are poor at reading large files: the larger the file, the slower the SSD compared to traditional hard disk drives. The difference with hard disk drives becomes apparent at medium size files, say 20KB. Does this mean that... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. AIX

SSD with GPFS ?

Hi, does anyone here happen to know if I could run GLVM or GPFS on Solid State Disks? I have a high volume / high transaction Sybase HACMP cluster currently setup with SRDF to the DR datacentre. My business now considers to move everything to SSD storage but we still need to get the data to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
0 Replies

4. Hardware

SSD - motherboard compatibility question

I am planning on purchasing an OCZ SSD that runs on the PCI Express lane. Now, while the motherboard it is to be installed on is not listed in the compatibility table, this does not mean it will not work, because the table only lists the motherboards that have been tested. Still, is there a way... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. Programming

Program to test SSD

Hi, I want to use SSD as storage to replace hard disk in server(Linux system). Need some help how to code the pgm(C or C ++)to test the SSD functionality (eg: Badblocks ). As im new to this line. i dont have much experience. Any input from experts/pro much appreciated. thanks a lot. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
4 Replies

6. Hardware

mobo with built-in ssd and linux

hi, thinking of building a system around this mobo: GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD. this has an ssd built-in to the mobo that serves as a cache for the sata drives. does linux have a chance of working on this? or is it going to get confused. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtayek
6 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAID 0 for SSD

Nowadays the fastest SSDs achieve read-speeds of between 1500 MB/s to 1900 MB/s. Let's say that two such SSDs in RAID 0 achieve roughly double the throughput, ie 3000 MB/s. That is only half an order of magnitude removed from RAM ((10)^(1/2) * 3000 = 10.000), very broadly speaking. So for the... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Install ssd hdd on Solaris 5.8

Hi, I want to install an SSD on my hdd ULTRA SPARK 10 with solaris 5.8. I can not format it because to complete the operation is necessary to enter the number of sectors and cylinders ... I also tried to make a copy disk2disk but goes wrong ... someone has an idea? Has anyone ever done such a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stirux
0 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SSD Caching, how its done, right choice?

Hello, someone needed VPS with SSD caching, he want to use server for websites hosting. What does that mean, this SSD caching and is it optimal solution for this? Also i listen some SSD dont like too much of writting so how one can recognise certain SSD is made the way that its not destroyed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

10. Hardware

SAS or SSD for Ubuntu 14.04 and data analysis

I am in the process of building a workstation and have a question related to performance. I am a scientist who deals with big data (average file size 30-50gb). My OS is ubuntu 14.04 and so far I have a 128gb dual xeon E5-2630 with 6 cores each. I/O buffering is an issue so I am adding a 256/512?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
defragcron(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     defragcron(8)

NAME
defragcron - Schedules AdvFS file domains for defragmenting SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/defragcron [-p] [-q] [-t nnn] [-b hh:mm] [-a hh:mm] [-l pathname] [domain...] /usr/sbin/defragcron [-p] [-q] [-t nnn] [-T mm] [-l pathname] [domain...] OPTIONS
Specifies that the domains are to be defragmented in parallel. If not specified, the default is to serially defragment the domains. Sup- press informational messages. If not specified, the default is to produce informational messages. Specifies the aggregate I/O performance threshold, the point at which the domain should be defragmented. A number from 1-100. If not specified, the default is to always defrag- ment the domain. The performance threshold is based on the value returned by the defragment -nv command. If this value is lower than or equal to the value specified here, the domain is defragmented. If specified, the utility will not run before this time and will return an error if the time is not yet reached. Specify time values using the 24-hour clock. If not specified, the default time is 01:00. If specified, the utility will not run after this time, and will return an error if the time has been passed. Specify time values using the 24-hour clock. If not specified, the default time is 05:00. Specifies an exact time interval, in minutes, for the defragment utility to run. If not specified, there is no default. If you use this option, its action overrides the before and after time checking of the -a and -b options. Specify the -l option to direct messages to log files in the specified directory. One log file is generated for nonspecific messages and separate log files are generated for each domain that is defragmented. If the option is not specified, the default action is to not produce log files for the messages (which then are directed to the standard output device). If the option is specified, you also must specify a pathname for the directory into which the log files are to be written. The default directory, as specified in the root crontab entry, is /usr/var/defragcron/. The names of the log files have the following format: domain1.log, domain2.log, ..., and so on, one file for each active domain, plus a file, defragcron.log for the nonspecific messages. If you have named a domain defragcron, messages for that domain are writ- ten to the nonspecific messages in the defragcron.log file. OPERANDS
Specifies one or more AdvFS file domains. If no domains are specified, the default action is for the utility to defragment all active AdvFS file domains. DESCRIPTION
The defragcron utility runs the defragment utility to a schedule that you specify on all active AdvFS file domains or on the active domains you specify. The typical use of this utility is to run it as a command in the cron daemon. See cron(8). Unless the domain is listed in the comand line, the utility does not attempt to defragment inactive file domains (those which have no mounted filesets). It can try to defragment file domains that have some mounted and some unmounted filesets. In this case, the utility fails. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root user privileges to run this utility. All restrictions for the defragment utility are in effect for the defragcron utility. EXIT STATUS
The utility returns a 0 (zero) on success. Otherwise, it returns a 1 and an error diagnostic. EXAMPLES
The following example defragments all active domains that have an aggregate I/O performance threshold less than or equal to 60 for an interval of 240 minutes: # /usr/sbin/defragcon -q -t 60 -T 240 FILES
The command's path. The path of the defragment utility. SEE ALSO
Commands: crontab(1), cron(8), defragment(8) defragcron(8)