Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Stale PPs in AIX, failed disks.. how to replace? Post 302922844 by bakunin on Tuesday 28th of October 2014 04:15:33 PM
Old 10-28-2014
First off, your "inter-policy" is set to "maximum", which is nonsense. "inter-policy=maximum" means to use as many PVs as possible when creating or extending a LV, which results in a "poor mans striping". The basic idea is to distribute I/O over as many disks as possible. This might make sense with very small PP sizes (2-16MB) and many very old disks. With todays disks and todays typical PP sizes it is utter nonsense and only makes administration overly complicated. My suggestion is to get rid of it. Use an inter-policy of "minimum" only.

Next: your VG is 1.5 TB in size and has a laughable amount of 128M in contingency! I suggest you get some more disk space to allow at least for reorganisations, which should take place regularly when you deal with physical disks. Here, like in any area, it doesn't pay off to be greedy and it certainly lowers efficiency when using a resource to its abolute limit. You do not use your processor ressources at a permanent 100%, you do not tune your system to death so that it constantly has zero free RAM and for the same reason you do not fill your disks to absolute capacity - there is no room left to react if something unforeseen comes up. Plus some VG operations need unused space to be undertaken. You should have at least 100-200GB free space once you have created all the filesystems, better even more.

My suggestion is to recreate the VG completely anew: backup your data using the savevg utility, delete the VG (you can use exportvg to remove it completely from the system), then recreate it using the restvg. Select sensible values for the PP size when recreating it, because your system seems to use pretty small disks: you have 22 (now 21) PVs in your VG and a net capacity of 1.5TB, the single average disk is about 70G in size. No disk you can get today has as few as 70GB but with your PP size of 128M you can't use any disk larger than ~128G. On the other hand you cannot use a factor as i suggested above, because even the smallest factor of 2 would limit the VG to 16 PVs which you already exceed. Therefore, when recreating the VG use a PP size of 512MB or even bigger, which will allow you to replace the (probably quite old) disks with new, bigger ones. Be warned that this operation will take some time and you need downtime to do it.

If you can get additional disks to hold the data you could just create a new VG and copy the data from the old one, then delete the old one, this way you save the time for creating the backup and you always have a working copy as a fallback solution. A healthy leayout would be 4 PVs of 500GB each, which gives you 2TB of space, 1.5 TB taken and 500GB as a reserve to draw on. This (or the solution above) is the recommended way to do it.

The next best is to reorganize the existing VG on the existing disks. Some problems described above will stay, but at least the problems internal to the VG could be repaired.

Reorganisation means: remove all the mirrors from all the LVs in the VG. The command is unmirrorvg. This way you get some free space to work with. Then change the LVs using the chlv command to set inter-policy to "minimum". Once you have done this use the reorgvg command to bring the new LV layout into place. Be prepared to wait for quite some time (probably some hours) before this is finished, it will physically relocate the LPs of all the LVs. You can do all this online without downtime, but i suggest to do it in times of least activity or even take a downtime anyway. It will certainly be slowed down by much system stress and users will notice the degraded performance when this operation runs. Finally remirror using the mklvcopy command or - if you can get additional disks to add to the VG - a mirrorvg which does a mklvcopy for all LVs.

If you do a mirrorvg here is a tip: switch off the syncing, because it uses only 1 PP at a time. Do it this way (deferred syncing):

Code:
# mirrorvg -s myvg
# syncvg -P <NN> -v myvg

For "NN" set a number 1-32, which is the number of PPs be synced in parallel. Which number is good depends on your RAM, load, PP size and other things, but i suggest 10-20 for PP sizes between 64M and 512M.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

/PS:

Quote:
Interesting error, since hdisk42 shows it is not assigned when I ssue "lspv hdisk42"
This might be because a VGDA (volume group descriptor area) was found on the disk. Maybe it was already in use in this or another system and already held data. In any way, when you forced it into the VG it was cleaned of these data and reformatted, so speculations about its former content are moot at this point.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 10-28-2014 at 05:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disks on AIX

Hello I've been working on AIX 5.3 ML3 on IBM pSeries520. That server has 6 HDD drives in 3 volume groups (1+mirror in each group). I must check which phisical disk is which disk in the system. For ex. I want to know that disk in 4th slot in the machine is marked as hdisk5 on AIX. Does anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

2. AIX

Replace a Failed Root Disk in AIX

My root disk is failed and how to replace the root disk in AIX. Can u give a detailed explanation in step wise. Pls give the answer taking different scenarios. Regards Praveen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnu_mulakala
1 Replies

3. AIX

system disks on aix 5.3

hello i'm running on P570 box aix 5.3 8 cpus 24G ram there are 1850 users loged in to this box the problem is that the two sysytem disks busy all the time hdisk0 100% busy hdisk1 100% busy some one have an idea what writing to this disks? thanks ariec (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
9 Replies

4. AIX

Configurin EMC SAN disks on AIX

This may sound like an absolute rookie question, and it is. I have been working on Migrating our HP and Solaris servers to the new EMC SAN and know the routines backwards. Now we've suddenly got a new IBM server and I don't even know how to check if it is connected to the switch. Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronellevan
1 Replies

5. AIX

Configuring new disks on AIX cluster

We run two p5 nodes running AIX 5L in a cluster mode (HACMP), both the nodes share external disk arrays. Only the primary node can access the shared disks at a given point of time. We are in the process of adding two new disks to the disk arrays so as to make them available to the existing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to find the failed disks in SVM and VxVM

How to find & replace bad disks in solaris & VXVM?plz explain step by step? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtreams
2 Replies

7. AIX

Issue with increasing size of SAN disks on AIX

HI, I have had an issue last night while trying to extend a filesystsem . chvg -g <vg> command cameback with an error 0516-1790 chvg: Failed bootinfo -s hdisk9. Ensure the physical volume is available and try again. 0516-732 chvg: Unable to change volume group u01vg. the VG has 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xmen01
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to reclaim hard disks and IP's in AIX?

Hello I recently received a request to reclaim hard disks and IP addresses within an AIX system(s). THe file systems are no longer in use and the client has indicated that it is OK to remove them and reclaim the disks and release the IP's. Now, since the file systems belong to a Volume group I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joseph Sabo
8 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - stale partition

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirror. After problem with SAN pathing of our one Datacenter, I have LV at stale state. # lsvg cpsdata2vg VOLUME GROUP: cpsdata2vg VG IDENTIFIER: 00fb518c00004c0000000169445f4c2c VG STATE: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DISKs are gone after shutting down and replace an FC card

Hi there, I had issue with one of MY FC cards on T4-2 servers so system team replace it and start the machine but when launch FORMAT command so I don't see my shared disks coming from storage controller. i have checked at the Fabric switch so WWN numbers are visible and zones are ok and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janakors
1 Replies