Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting New to UNIX like 2 weeks of study only Post 302922712 by Aia on Monday 27th of October 2014 10:59:39 PM
Old 10-27-2014
Just as an idea, not meant to be your personal solution.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

x="x"
echo "Enter a name: "
read NAME

while [ "$NAME" != "$x" ]; do

if [ ! $(grep "$NAME"  filename) ]; then
        echo "$NAME is not found in filename"
    fi

echo "Enter a name: "
    read NAME
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i want to study unix,but it is very dificult.

14 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbweh5280
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for unix study

hi I am vijay how r the unix gurus? I want to install unix for our sites.So pls tell me abt unix installation user guide & also all the unix commands.Pls help me.I am waiting for yr reply. bye..........vijay :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vi77_surat
2 Replies

4. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix study help

Hi, I need some help with the follow questions :(. Any help would be great! Answer with the necessary commands 1. In your login directory, make a directory called week4/revision 2. Without changing directories, make another directory week4_revision/data 3. Change to week4_revision/data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heyo
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX Admin (Papers and study material)

Hi, I want to prepare and then appear for Unix admin certification. Please guide me for the study material and Exams that are required to be taken for UNIX certifcation. Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
11 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX- -Case study - Library management.

Hi.. I am a new joinee to this foram.I need to submit a case study in UNIX .Please help me to submit the case study by giving your valuable ideas.It will be very helpful for me. Topic: Unix File Management A university wants to computerize its Library operations because of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji_jeya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

10. SCO

Study UNIX Kernel

Hi all, I hope you are fine, I'd like study Os I tried a book like Silberschatz it's a good book but like other books it talks about the concepts abstractly and that's due to it try to encompass many concepts from many operating systems in GENERAL. i am not too much comfortable from these... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdo_8008
20 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)