Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - delete content inside tags multiline Post 302922542 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 26th of October 2014 07:21:55 AM
Old 10-26-2014
That works fine for the sample, but there would not be lazy matching, so if the pattern would appear twice on a line, this would not work for text between multiple patterns on the same line.

An alternative would be to use an arbitrary replacement character (for example §), something like:
Code:
sed '1h;1!H;$!d;g;s#</gallery>#§#g;s#==Image Gallery==[^§]*§##g' file

--
In jethrow's perl suggestion lazy matching is accomplished by the lazy matching operator ?: .*?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-26-2014 at 08:35 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete content in a file (delete content only)

Hi Friends I have a file called processLog.txt file processLog.txt --------------- echo "line starts "$LINE suppCode=${LINE:0:3} #gatewayArchive=`scp root@mrp-gateway:/usr/local/apache/data/PLAT/MIMUS/upload/PROD/archive/112042708173000.txt /home/krishnaveni/scripts/tempFolder` #echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete multiline string from file using sed.

Hi, I have file which has the following content... GOOD MORNING **********WARNING********** when it kicks from the kickstart, sshd daemon should start at last. (WHEN KICKING ITSELF, NOT AFTER KICKING). /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd ( run level specification for sshd is 55, now I would want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Delete all between 2 tags ...

Hi @all, i need an SED-command which deletes all signs in an xml-file between the </text> and the following <text> - tags. sed '/</text>/,/<text>/d' doesn`t work! regards alex (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexander_
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/perl command to delete specific pattern and content above it...

Hi, Below is my input file: Data: 1 Length: 20 Got result. Data: 2 Length: 30 No result. Data: 3 Length: 20 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edge_diners
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i delete the content between all the occurences of two strings using sed or awk command

Hi. I have to delete the content between all the occurrences of the xml tags in a single file. For example: * The tags <script>.....................</script> occurs more than once in the same file. * It follows tagging rules meaning a start tag will be followed by an end tag. Will not have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkumar
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with sed needed to extract content from html tags

Hi I've searched for it for few hours now and i can't seem to find anything working like i want. I've got webpage, saved in file par with form like this: <html><body><form name='sendme' action='http://example.com/' method='POST'> <textarea name='1st'>abc123def678</textarea> <textarea... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: seb001
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change/Delete Multiline text

Hi, I want to change/delete all occurences of a multiline text in a file which match the specific pattern: aaa <This text should be changed>bbb ccc ddddddd eee<This text should be changed> fff gggggg hhh<This text should be deleted> iii jjjj kkkkk<This text should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wenclu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Multiline sed help!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to sed and I need to create a script for inserting one line of code at the beginning of every method in a Xcode project (over 6,000 methods). Each method Structure is (+ or -) (Various declarations-- could span multiple lines) ({) I've tried for days, any guidance would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - delete content inside square brackets under conditions

I have the file sed1.txt and I need to strip the brackets (]) and content inside them only when I have two or three letters followed by a colon. for example,it may be any letter, not just abc ] ] #-- cat sed1.txt 1 ] FISICA 2 ]PORTUGUES 3 ] ]MATEMATICA 4 ]]INGLES ] 5 ]QUIMICA 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dperboni
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline sed

Hi guys, I am fairly comfortable with using the sed command if the string to be replaced is all on a single line. I was wondering is it possible to use sed command in a multiline way ? Say for example I have the below string on 2 different lines: { "key": "brandNameA", ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
Mason::Filters::Standard(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Mason::Filters::Standard(3pm)

NAME
Mason::Filters::Standard - Standard filters DESCRIPTION
These filters are automatically composed into Mason::Component. FILTERS
Capture ($ref) Uses "$m->capture" to capture the content in $ref instead of outputting it. % $.Capture(my $content) {{ <!-- this will end up in $content --> % }} ... do something with $content CompCall ($path, @args...) Calls the component with path and @args, just as with "$m->scomp", with an additional coderef argument "yield" that can be invoked to generate the content. Arguments passed to "yield" can be accessed inside the content via @_. This is the replacement for Mason 1's Components With Content <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?HTML::Mason::Devel#Component_Calls_with_Content>. In index.mc: % $.CompCall ('list_items.mi', items => @items) {{ <li><% $_[0] %></li> % }} In list_items.mi: <%class> has 'items'; has 'yield'; </%class> % foreach my $item (@{$.items}) { <% $.yield->($item) %> % } NoBlankLines Remove lines with only whitespace from content. This % $.NoBlankLines {{ hello world % }} yields hello world Repeat ($count) Repeat the content block $count times. Note that the block is re-executed each time, which may result in different content. <!-- Prints 1 to 5 --> % my $i = 1; % $.Repeat(5) {{ <% $i++ %><br> % }} Tee ($ref) Uses "$m->capture" to capture the content in $ref, and also output it. % $.Tee(my $content) {{ <!-- this will end up in $content and also be output --> % }} ... <!-- output content again down here --> <% $content %> Trim Remove whitespace from the beginning and end of the content. SEE ALSO
Mason::Manual::Filters, Mason AUTHOR
Jonathan Swartz <swartz@pobox.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2011 by Jonathan Swartz. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-02 Mason::Filters::Standard(3pm)