Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with simple script with counter Post 302922466 by silencep77 on Saturday 25th of October 2014 02:23:24 AM
Old 10-25-2014
Thanks for the input. I am not sure the other suggested shell scripts work in my bash shell, and the professor wants it a specific way. My script now looks like this.
Code:
     1  count=1
     2  if [ -d "$1" ]
     3    then
     4    echo "The diretory $1 exists."
     5  else
     6    echo "The directory $1 does not exist."
     7  fi
     8   if [ -e "$1" ]
     9    then
    10  echo "The file $1 exists and has the following properties: "
    11  fi
    12  echo "Please enter another filename or an x to exit the script: "
    13  while [ "$filename" != "x" ]
    14  do
    15  read filename
    16   if [ -r "$1" ]
    17    then
    18    echo -n "Read. "
    19   fi
    20   if [ -w "$1" ]
    21   then
    22   echo -n "Write. "
    23  fi
    24   if [ -x "$1" ]
    25   then
    26   echo -n "Execute."
    27  fi
    28  echo " "
    29  if [ -k "$1" ]
    30   then
    31   echo "Sticky bit is set."
    32   else
    33   echo "Sticky bit is not set."
    34  fi
    35  if [ -s "$1" ]
    36   then
    37   echo "The file is not empty."
    38   else
    39   echo "The file is empty."
    40  fi
    41  COUNTER=`expr $COUNTER + 1`
    42  echo "Please enter a filename or an x to exit the script: "
    43  read filename
    44  done
    45  echo "$COUNTER"

The problem is no matter what file I test it against it doesn't seem to be reading "$1". It only outputs
Code:
Read. Write.
Sticky bit is not set.
The file is not empty.
Please enter another filename or an x to exit the script:

. Even when I press x to exit, it will output the above and then exit. The counter still doesn't seem to be working properly. Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in Script (counter)

Hello: Executing following script i'm getting error: 1=1+1: 0403-058 Assignment requires an lvalue. It's not assuming the counter but i don't know why. Some hint? Thank you very much in advance. #!/bin/ksh <path>/tiempos.txt num_exe=1 TIEMPOS=<path>/tiempos.txt while ] do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felix2511
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counter Script..help please

I have generated a script that will email a list of people if a certain PID is not running, using "mailx". I have the script running every 5 minutes as a cron job. I want the script to stop sending an email, if the email has been sent 5 times (meaning PID is dead). I want this so that my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunguy222
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accumulate counter in script

Hi, I'm new to unix and have a problem? I'm writing a basic script in ksh and it is a basic quiz with 5 questions. I need to be able to accumulate the correct answers at the end and echo out the total correct answers, I cannot work it out? Please see script so far. If anyone can help that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get a counter to work in bash scipt, this is calling expect script

I have looked high and low, tryed lots of diffrent things but cant get a simple counter to work right. what i need is to increase a count ever time it finishes the test, pass or fail. example TEST PASS 1, NEXT TEST PASS 2, I curently have set foo o while {$foo <=5} { incr foo puts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melvin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset the counter in shell script

I am executing the following script using 'awk -f process.awk out' where 'out' is the input file which consists of 5000 sequences. Each time it takes one sequence, run the below program by creating a directory, run the mfold command within that directory, running another shell script 'final5' and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display a counter in shell script?

Hi, I am writing a script which processes large number of files in a directory. I wanto display a counter which increment after processing each file. I am processing each file in a for loop. If I echo a variable with its value increasing with each file, I will get around 5000 lines as output.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaiseaugustine
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use counter to run the script to limit number?

I want to run my shell script to the limit number.Suppose I know in advance that MAX=5 then I want that my script run 5 times only.Something like below$ vi testingMAX=5COMMAND=&quot;ssh -l stpuser VHLDVWSAD001 /projects/st/utils/deploy/deployall.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &&quot; ; sleep 20;count=0while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic counter script

Hello, I am having trouble calculating some numbers and I was hoping someone could help me solve this. I have one file with 1 column and what I'm trying to do is add up the lines until a certain value is reach, then jump to where it last finished counting and continue. so for ex: if I... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
27 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)