Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Hyperthreaded virtual cores, different C-States? Post 302922428 by agentrnge on Friday 24th of October 2014 01:54:25 PM
Old 10-24-2014
the info in cpuinfo as well as the output of turbostat shows how the virtual/logical cores relate to physical. I would expect logical core 0 and 6, on physical core 0, to have the exact same C state time/percentages. A lot of the time they are. But then sometimes not. Puzzled. Curious.

Log Phys
----------
0 0
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 0
7 1
8 2
9 3
10 4
11 5

Edit:

Speaking of linux scheduling. I have also noticed that the scheduler will sometimes put two tasks on the same physical core, but leave another physical core idle. I guess when deciding what core is most available, two virt cores might be idle, while another core is still finishing up something.. Not sure how fast load should ( if it is at all) be reballanced. Gotta break out the os internals books and refresh.

Last edited by agentrnge; 10-24-2014 at 03:08 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

laymens terms for netstat states

Ok, I've read the manpages on netstat and it gives a good description of the state values such as CLOSE_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, SYN_RECEIVED, etc.. Can someone give me real world situations where you would get these states. LIke for example if I got SYN_RECEIVED what possible situations would be the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. Solaris

meaning of states in sun clusters

Hi Everybody, As I am new to Sun Clusters, Please help me what is "online but not monitored" state of resources and "online - service is online" in status message. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayahari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have to log out of a virtual terminal twice in order to exit virtual terminals

Not really a newbie, but I have a strange problem and I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot it. I have to log out of a virtual terminal by typing exit, then exit again as in: woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout I DON'T have to do this when I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Narnie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix process states

I am trying to write my own Unix compliant (SUSv4) OS - Just a hobby OS, nothing serious. While going through the standard, I couldn't find any explicit information on process states. What I could find was (excluding the real-time considerations)- From this it can be inferred that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinkerbeast
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Change hostID of Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine installed by Virtual Box 4.1.12 on Windows-XP host

Trying to set or modify the randomly set hostID of a Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine that I installed on a Windows-XP host machine (using Virtual Box 4.1.12). I was able to set/modify the hostname of the Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine during installation as well as via the Virtual Box... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matt_VB
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count no of netstat states

netstat | awk '/server/ {for(i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print}' Output: ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED TIME_WAIT TIME_WAIT From the above command I'm getting all the states. I want to count the states and write to a file, like "Count of ESTABLISHED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command showing different states for same process

I am using HP-UX,KSH $ jobs -l + 19377 Running nohup ksh cat_Duplicate_Records_Removal.ksh </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 & $ ps -p 19377 -fl F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 19377 19491 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TomG
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Providing virtual machine priority in kvm based virtual machines

Hi All, Is there any way I can prioritize my VMs when there is resource crunch in host machine so that some VMs will be allocated more vcpu, more memory than other VMs in kvm/qemu hypervisor based virtual machines? Lets say in my cloud environment my Ubuntu 16 compute hosts are running some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayK
0 Replies
CORE(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   CORE(5)

NAME
core -- memory image file format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> DESCRIPTION
A small number of signals which cause abnormal termination of a process also cause a record of the process's in-core state to be written to disk for later examination by one of the available debuggers. (See sigaction(2).) This memory image is written to a file named by default core.pid, where pid is the process ID of the process, in the /cores directory, provided the terminated process had write permission in the directory, and the directory existed. The maximum size of a core file is limited by setrlimit(2). Files which would be larger than the limit are not created. The core file consists of the Mach-O(5) header as described in the <mach-o/loader.h> file. The remainder of the core file consists of vari- ous sections described in the Mach-O(5) header. NOTE
Core dumps are disabled by default under Darwin/Mac OS X. To re-enable core dumps, a privileged user must do one of the following * Edit /etc/launchd.conf or $HOME/.launchd.conf and add a line specifying the limit limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable cores with launchctl limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable core files by using ulimit(1) or limit(1) depending upon the shell. SEE ALSO
gdb(1), setrlimit(2), sigaction(2), Mach-O(5), launchd.conf(5), launchd.plist(5), sysctl(8) HISTORY
A core file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 26, 2008 BSD