Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cooler GPU
Special Forums Hardware Cooler GPU Post 302922387 by agentrnge on Friday 24th of October 2014 10:03:34 AM
Old 10-24-2014
Newer kernels include more support for CPU throttling, C-states. Probably stepping down the CPU when it can. What kind of load is the system usually under? Honestly even if your CPU is pegged 100% 24/7 you shouldnt be in 75-80C. Thats way too hot. 60C is where you want to be for a non-overclocked CPU even at 100% duty cycle. 30-45 for idle or normal use.

There is an entry in the kernel cpu config to enable or disable turbo speeds. ( not overclocking specifically) Maybe the old config happened to have that enabled, and the new one is disabled by default?

Not that you can compare to values pre-upgrade, but two things to look at that might be of use is to check the physical power usage of the box with a power-meter inline from the socket to the PSU. They can be had for $20-30. Again, not all that usefull without having "before" values to compare too. But more info on your system is always good to have. Second thing to look at is install "turbostat". It will show you the clock-rates and precentage of time each core is spending in various C states ( full power through idle/power-save modes). There are a handful of other tools that show the same info. Thats just the one I happened to use recently.
This User Gave Thanks to agentrnge For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Tracing the GPU usage

Hello, Can give me some tips to trace the GPU usage on a solaris8 update7 box? I try to understand why a Cadcam app is so slow on my Solaris box compared to a win$ box. I guess it comes from the poor graphic card I have but i would like to emphasize it. My bench is 150sec long on a Solaris... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GPU and CUDA

Hi , i want begin programming using CUDA which enviroment can i get .I don't have desktop to buy GPU graphics card. what should to do to get CUDA enviroment. i'm thinking to buy desktop has this card or laptop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scotch
1 Replies

3. Hardware

External GPU issue

Dear all, I set up a external Gforce GPU using the PE4H (Pcie passive adapter) from HWTOOLS.NET. I'm able to add and remove the device doing and The point is the kernel does not initialized the device correctly. Here is what dmesg gives after the scan: lspci -t gives and lspci... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aihake
2 Replies

4. Hardware

CUDA GPU terminates process at random instances

I am trying to start troubleshooting an error on a virtual server that uses the ubuntu 14.04 OS. Basically what happens (seeming random) is that the GPU stops processing and terminates. What Imean by seeming random is that for 3 runs there is no error then on run 4 the error appears. It has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

5. Hardware

How disabling GPU?

Hi All I'm find out a way to disable the DGD: AMD Radeon HD 7470M on my Ubutu 16.04.2 LTS because radeon open source module is not capable to support this GPU and consequence the boot is very slow. I have tried serveral way with pci-stub.ids in the grub menu but not work. In general how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Fabio_79
11 Replies

6. Linux

Vfio passtrough gpu, a question about hdmi

The situation videocard n°1 Nvidia Ge-force(used on host linux) videocard n°2 Ati radeon(used on guest windows 7) host is Slackware 14.2,kernel 4.18.15 I had set vfio to pass a ati card to windows7 guest Configure /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf options vfio-pci... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies
PMCCONTROL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     PMCCONTROL(8)

NAME
pmccontrol -- control hardware performance monitoring counters SYNOPSIS
pmccontrol [-c cpu | -d pmc | -e pmc] ... pmccontrol -l pmccontrol -L pmccontrol -s DESCRIPTION
The pmccontrol utility controls the operation of the system's hardware performance monitoring counters. OPTIONS
The pmccontrol utility processes options in command line order, so later options modify the effect of earlier ones. The following options are available: -c cpu Subsequent enable and disable options affect the CPU denoted by argument cpu. The argument cpu is a number denoting a CPU in the system, or ``*'', denoting all unhalted CPUs in the system. -d pmc Disable PMC number pmc on the CPU specified by -c, preventing it from being used till subsequently re-enabled. The argument pmc is a number denoting a specific PMC, or ``*'' denoting all the PMCs on the specified CPU. Only idle PMCs may be disabled. -e pmc Enable PMC number pmc, on the CPU specified by -c, allowing it to be used in the future. The argument pmc is a number denoting a specific PMC, or ``*'' denoting all the PMCs on the specified CPU. If PMC pmc is already enabled, this option has no effect. -l List available hardware performance counters and their current disposition. -L List available hardware performance counter classes and their supported event names. -s Print driver statistics maintained by hwpmc(4). EXAMPLES
To disable all PMCs on all CPUs, use the command: pmccontrol -d* To enable all PMCs on all CPUs, use: pmccontrol -e* To disable PMCs 0 and 1 on CPU 2, use: pmccontrol -c2 -d0 -d1 To disable PMC 0 of CPU 0 only, and enable all other PMCS on all other CPUs, use: pmccontrol -c* -e* -c0 -d0 DIAGNOSTICS
The pmccontrol utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
pmc(3), pmclog(3), hwpmc(4), pmcstat(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The pmccontrol utility first appeared in FreeBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org> BSD
November 9, 2008 BSD