Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fixed Width file creation from csv Post 302922341 by Don Cragun on Thursday 23rd of October 2014 07:12:19 PM
Old 10-23-2014
Without 5 temp files, awk, sed, or tr and just using ksh built-ins, you could try:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while IFS=',.' read a b c d e f
do      printf '%s%s%010d%010d%02d%08d0\n' "$a" "$b" "$c" "$d" "$e" "$f"
done < checksab > final.txt

but, for the 6th input line:
Code:
004429876883,O,389727,14095.75,10232014

in your sample, it produces:
Code:
004429876883O0000389727000001409575102320140

instead of the:
Code:
004429876883O0000389627000001409575102320140

you said you wanted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting field into fixed width csv

Hi I have a file having record as - 1,aaa,a123,a I need this converted to as 2nd col to 5 chars wide & 3rd col to 6chars wide such as - 1,aaa ,a123 ,a How we could achieve this? Thx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manupulating Records in a fixed width file

I am trying to determine what would be a fast and simple way to manipulate data that comes in a fixed width format. This data has 6 segments within a record. Each record needs to written out with a header and the 6 segments. Based on the value in column #6 the fields will be defined accordingly.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muga801
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace using awk on fixed width file.

All, I used to use following command to replace specific location in a fixed width file. Recently looks like my command stopped working as intended. We are on AIX unix. awk 'function repl(s,f,t,v) { return substr(s,1,f-1) sprintf("%-*s", t-f+1, v) substr(s,t+1) } NR<=10 {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies
py_xls2csv(1)						      General Commands Manual						     py_xls2csv(1)

NAME
py_xls2csv - convert an Excel xls file to a comma separated value csv file SYNOPSIS
py_xls2csv input-file DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. py_xls2csv takes an Excel xls file as an argument and converts it to a comma separated value csv file. Output is sent to stdout. Additional utility scripts can be found in the tools/ directory. OPTIONS
This program does not take any command line options. AUTHOR
pyexcelerator and py_xls2csv were written by Roman V. Kiseliov <roman@kiseliov.ru>. This manual page was written by Kevin Coyner <kcoyner@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. SEE-ALSO pyexcelerator(1), py_xls2txt(1), py_xls2html(1) October 12, 2006 py_xls2csv(1)