Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create another root account
Operating Systems AIX Create another root account Post 302922237 by ibmtech on Thursday 23rd of October 2014 11:30:56 AM
Old 10-23-2014
Ok,
So you manually edited the /etc/passwd file.
Lesson no.1 You never do that.

Now, coming to your problem, after you change the password for root2, is it letting you in to the system?

Do you have sudo setup for sysadmin users? if so, login as that user then sudo to root (NOT root2). Edit the /etc/passwd file and remove the entry for root2.
Change the root password and make sure that you have not exceed the defined unsuccessfult_login_count.

If this don't work I can provide you another solution. 1st try this and let us know.

I hope this helps.
This User Gave Thanks to ibmtech For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create or modify user account to have same access as root

Is there a way to create or better yet modify a user account so it has the same privs as root? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
6 Replies

2. AIX

root account has been locked

I'am set the root account locked ON, using smitty, so I can't login or su with root user in my AIX system, some one can help me to unlock root account login ???, sample : :~>su root's Password: 3004-301 Your account has been locked; please see the system administrator. 3004-501 Cannot su to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Maker
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Renaming of root account

Hi, I have solaris 7. Just for implementing security on my system, I would like to know can I rename the root account to something else. After renaming will my os still function properly. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root account is expired

Hi all, I am using redhat linux version 9 .I am unable to login to the system and i am getting a warninig sorry root account is expired . How can i activate the account. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallesh
2 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Root account - disable expiry

I couldnt find this in any other post - so hoping someone can help out. I want to set password expiry (or rather I have to) for a number of users on my solaris 9 system. I know i can set the following options in the /etc/default/passwd file to do it and then just type a passwd -f <username> to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root account!

Is it possible to create more than one root account? Thanks, Jorge (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jofonseca99
4 Replies

8. Solaris

how to su - from non root acount to non root account

HI i am trying to give su access to some users say X Y and Z to a account AB . I am able to give them su access to root with the help of sudoers file but i want to give them password less access to AB account which i am not able to do . I want to this when user X fires "su - AB" he is not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Recover root account

Hi everyone! I've got a problem caused by another who did: - He create an user and grant the group (1) to this - The problem appears as "Permission deined when reboot the Server Dec 21 09:13:09 payment dtlogin: open_pam_conf: Owner of /etc/pam.conf is not root Dec 21... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
4 Replies
qmail-getpw(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    qmail-getpw(8)

NAME
qmail-getpw - give addresses to users SYNOPSIS
qmail-getpw local DESCRIPTION
In qmail, each user controls a vast array of local addresses. qmail-getpw finds the user that controls a particular address, local. It prints six pieces of information, each terminated by NUL: user; uid; gid; homedir; dash; and ext. The user's account name is user; the user's uid and gid in decimal are uid and gid; the user's home directory is homedir; and messages to local will be handled by home- dir/.qmaildashext. In case of trouble, qmail-getpw exits nonzero without printing anything. WARNING: The operating system's getpwnam function, which is at the heart of qmail-getpw, is inherently unreliable: it fails to distinguish between temporary errors and nonexistent users. Future versions of getpwnam should return ETXTBSY to indicate temporary errors and ESRCH to indicate nonexistent users. RULES
qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd to be a user if (1) the account has a nonzero uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is visible to qmail-getpw), and (3) the account owns its home directory. qmail-getpw ignores account names containing uppercase let- ters. qmail-getpw also assumes that all account names are shorter than 32 characters. qmail-getpw gives each user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. When local is user, dash and ext are both empty. When local is user-anything, dash is a hyphen and ext is anything. user may appear in any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters at the front of local. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. In this case ext is local and dash is a hyphen. You can override all of qmail-getpw's decisions with the qmail-users mechanism, which is reliable, highly configurable, and much faster than qmail-getpw. SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-getpw(8)