Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Checking for processes in Linux Post 302921945 by ritakadm on Tuesday 21st of October 2014 08:37:41 AM
Old 10-21-2014

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Return Codes of Background Processes

I'm trying to do the following: 1) Run a bunch of jobs in the background 2) Determine if any one of them returns with a non-zero exit status Here's what I've come up with so far: ########################################## #!/bin/ksh while } -lt 1024 ] do SLEEP_TIME=`expr 1024 -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bergerj3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking Processes

I have aix version 5.1 I was wondering how I can check all running processes? I have used several ps commands but have been unsuccessful at it. I can see all with {ps aux } I have a little trouble knowing what I am looking for also. I should be looking at length of time and processor usage? I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking before start and stop processes

Hi, I have 2 start and stop sh. Start sh -------- This will start few processes. Example code: echo "start process : lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs" nohup lgz200 /db=test/test1@test1 /pipe=test_jobs > ../log/lgz200_j.log & echo "echo \"stop process (pid=$!): lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs\"" >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maldini
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running multiple processes in Linux

Hi guys, I want to run the multiple scripts at the same time using a ksh script. For example, I have three scripts to run: a.ksh, b.ksh and c.ksh How to start the above 3 scripts simultaneously and then on the completion of the above scripts I have other tasks to schedule. Thanks Gary (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop for checking processes

Hi Gang, I need part of my script to be able to loop, check for processes running and if they aren't running, start them. It needs to loop 5 times, do a check each time, and make sure a process starts, and if its running; skip it. I've worked with loops and checking for processes before,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real Time processes in Linux

I was trying to experiment with SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO. I tried benchmarking the SCHED_NORMAL with these two real time priorities. What I found is strange result. SHED_RR was the slowest then comes SCHED_FIFO and SCHED_NORMAL was the fastest one. All tests are run in same situation and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the most memory consuming processes in Linux

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.4 To find the most memory consuming processes, I tried the following 2 methods 1. Method1 # ps aux | head -1 ; ps aux | sort -nk +4 | tail -7 USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 95 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide password from processes in Linux

i have a shell script which calls a java program with username and password arguments. #!/bin/ksh #set some classpaths here #finally run the command java com.test -u $U -p $P Now when i run it, the password shows up in the list of processes. I am not the admin on the server so cant... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesb2b
3 Replies

9. Linux

Linux Total Processes - Why monitor it?

Hi Guys, Monitoring 'Total Processes' on Linux servers has been always something you 'should' do. My question is - why? Is it relevant anymore? If you monitor memory and cpu params, you have a pretty good idea about what's going on. Is the number of processes really matter? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DjDeaf
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris zones - checking processes and lofs file system

Hi all, q1) If i am in a global-zone, is there any command or anyway to check if a particular process in "ps -ef" output is running in which zone ? q2) if i have created and mount a lofs filesystem/mountpoint for my non-global zone, can i say the following e.g. /dev/md/dsk/d60 /data --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies
check-hostname(1M)					  System Administration Commands					check-hostname(1M)

NAME
check-hostname - check if sendmail can determine the system's fully-qualified host name SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/check-hostname DESCRIPTION
The check-hostname script is a migration aid for sendmail(1M). This script tries to determine the local host's fully-qualified host name (FQHN) in a manner similar to sendmail(1M). If check-hostname is able to determine the FQHN of the local host, it reports success. Other- wise, check-hostname reports how to reconfigure the system so that the FQHN can be properly determined. FILES
/etc/hosts Host name database /etc/nsswitch.conf Name service switch configuration file /etc/resolv.conf Configuration file for name server routines ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), hosts(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Nov 2003 check-hostname(1M)