Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcard for grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wildcard for grep Post 302921820 by Corona688 on Monday 20th of October 2014 12:51:30 PM
Old 10-20-2014
grep does not use wildcard, it uses regular expressions. So, "a*" means match "", or "a", or "aaaaaaa", or "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", etc.

Try "ora.*r2". . has a special meaning to regular expressions -- "any character".
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard

what will the cmd below do? ls *.3 1 members mentions that to seek all permutations and combinations of the mp3 extension ill have to use curly braces, {} and not, . what then will do? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with wildcard in middle of word

How can grep G.*schema give me the result: ${Gacntg_dt}""'"' doesn't G.*schema say give me an unlimited number of characters between G and schema? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard help!!

i have got heaps of files (.pdf, .txt and .doc) files in one folder, i am making a program in PERL that helps me find the files i want easier using shell wildcard, something like this!! print "Enter a pattern: (must be in )"; $input = <STDIN>; if (The input is in and valid wildcard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard inside regular expression for grep

Hi, I'm on a Linux machine with a bash shell. I have some apache logs from where I want to extract the lines that match this pattern : "GET /dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx.gif HTTP/1.1" but where "/dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx" may vary , so I would like to grep something like cat apache.log | grep "\"GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Wildcard search

How can i grep for a pattern with wildcard using grep? I want to identify all the lines that start with SAM and end in .PIPE IN.TXT SAM_HEADER.PIPE SAM_DETAIL.PIPE SAM_INVOICE.PIPE Can i do something like grep SAM*.PIPE IN.TXT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Help with wildcard

CD_numb is AM017 this code: set the_Firstcom_CD to (do shell script "ls -d '/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/' ") & CD_numb gives me this: "/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/AM017" the item I am looking for is AM017Q. I can get the "*" syntax right so it never finder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and BzGrep with Wildcard in Search Pattern

Hello All, I hope this is the right area. If not, Kindly let me know and I will report in the appropriate spot. I am needing to find a search pattern that will make the * act as Wildcard in the search pattern instead of being literal. The example I am using is bzgrep "to=<*@domain.com>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mancountry
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with wildcard

hi anyone how can use grep with wildcard. for example grep "sample?txt" filename doesn't show sample1txt or grep "sample*txt" filename doesn't show sample123.txt that there is in filename. many thanks samad (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep using wildcard in a file.

I wish to check if my file has a line that does not start with '#' and has 1. Listen and 2. 443 echo "Listen 443" > test.out grep 'Listen *443' test.out | grep -v '#' Listen 443 The above worked fine but when the entry changes to the below the grep fails... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)