Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Interpretation of Ping behaviour Post 302921775 by MadeInGermany on Monday 20th of October 2014 09:10:44 AM
Old 10-20-2014
The hosts: entry in /etc/nsswich.conf is the host resolution order.
file corresponds to /etc/hosts, and dns corresponds to /etc/resolv.conf
The commands nslookup and hosts bypass /etc/nsswitch.conf and directly use DNS (/etc/resolv.conf).
The command getent hosts ... uses the default lookup i.e. via /etc/nsswitch.conf.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell: $ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command. I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilippeCrokaer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there, do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal? (i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high: 3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: odin1999
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

4. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negating shell interpretation

I'm writing a Korn script but am having trouble because the shell interprets the asterisk in this case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this so that grep takes in STDIN without the interpretation? line="30 09 * * 1-4 /home/user01/bin/start" echo "$line" | grep 'start' (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprucio
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpretation of UNIX command

what does the below do. echo * | xargs ls | wc –l echo * - Output a string comprising the name of each file in the working directory, with each name separated by a space. xargs ls - construct argument list command wc -l - it will pipe the output to the wc command, which will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houmingc
4 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)					      General Commands Manual						MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)

NAME
mrtg-ping-probe - ping probe module for Multi Router Traffic Grapher DESCRIPTION
mrtg-ping-probe is a ping probe module for MRTG 2.x. It is used to monitor the round trip time and packet loss to networked devices. MRTG uses the output of mrtg-ping-probe to generate graphs visualizing minimum and maximum round trip times or packet loss. mrtg-ping-probe is not run directly, but is called by MRTG as a helper when it needs to determine ping time to a host. Act responsibly: do not use mrtg-ping-probe to ping devices without the owner's permission. Just imagine if 10,000 people decided to ping your hosts! mrtg-ping-probe is meant to be used within your network to get round trip time performance figures for your network. OPTIONS
To use mrtg-ping-probe you need to configure MRTG to call it from within the definition of a target host. This is done in the MRTG config file, which is usually /etc/mrtg.conf. Here's an example snippet: change the target name and IP address to suit your needs. Target[your.target.ping]: `/usr/bin/mrtg-ping-probe 123.456.789.123` SetEnv[your.target.ping]: MRTG_INT_IP="123.456.789.123" MRTG_INT_DESCR="ping" MaxBytes[your.target.ping]: 100 AbsMax[your.target.ping]: 200 Options[your.target.ping]: gauge, growright YLegend[your.target.ping]: ping time (ms) ShortLegend[your.target.ping]: ms Legend1[your.target.ping]: Maximum Round Trip Time in ms Legend2[your.target.ping]: Minimum Round Trip Time in ms Legend3[your.target.ping]: Maximal 5 Minute Maximum Round Trip Time in ms Legend4[your.target.ping]: Maximal 5 Minute Minimum Round Trip Time in ms LegendI[your.target.ping]:  Max: LegendO[your.target.ping]:  Min: Pay close attention to the backticks in the first line which tell MRTG to execute the nominated external program. Note also that you need to use the "gauge" option, since the results of subsequent ping probes are independant values and not an incrementing counter. SEE ALSO
mrtg(1). The latest release of mrtg-ping-probe can be found on the web at http://pwo.de/projects/mrtg/ AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jonathan Oxer <jon@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 14, 2003 MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)