Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Looking into files question Post 302921634 by totoro125 on Saturday 18th of October 2014 10:09:27 PM
Old 10-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aia
The quickest and naive approach would be:

Code:
grep -re '[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]' *

Of course, that might return what appears to be a date format pattern that it is not valid, if exists, like 99/99/9999
Yea that is true, but I am just playing around with these files. But if I was in a directory how would I search through each individual file to do that? What would I put before that grep statement?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash question

Hi Guys, I found this script for monitoring the status of a services: for i in syslogd cron; do if && ; then printf "%-8s" "$i";printf " is alive=A\n" else printf "%-8s" "$i";printf " is not alive\n" fi The script is working fine except if either syslogd or cron will have a defunct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Wildcard Question

Hi, I am writing a BASH script. In a directory I have a bunch of files of various filename structures. How do I list all the filenames that begin with either a capital or lowercase A or T. Is there one command that could replace the following 4: ls A* ls a* ls T* ls t* Thanks. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash question - 2 files together

Hello Friends, I have a simple problem but I can't seem to find a solution, perhaps you could gimme a hand here.. I have to files 1.txt which contains the following 00 01 02 03 and 2.txt which contains the following: 20 21 22 23 All I need is to concatenate these 2 files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH Pipe question

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting, but enjoying myself! :cool: I'm trying to execute the following statement: alias evol="ps -AH | grep evol | cut -d' ' -f2 | kill -9" As you might guess. I'm wanting to use a single command 'evol' to kill all the processes containing the phrase 'evol' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgrahamnz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yet another bash arrays question

Hi all, I have a file that contains many lines, but only a few are of my interest, so I'm cutting it with grep + awk, and the result I get is for example line 0 line 1 line 2 line 3 line n Now I want to store each line in an array "cell" so I can use it later calling to ${array},... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuxSax
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Bash question.

Hi, I'm basically looking to see what this line of code does: . `dirname $0`/../config/config Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cabaiste
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting question

have a script that calls child scripts depending on conditions. All of the child scripts source in a common file that contains shared functions. At the moment each script has to source this file itself, is there a way for the master script to automagically source the file for them? For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redman
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in bash script.

Hi All, I need an assistance with the issue below. I wrote big script in "bash" that automatically install an LDAP on Clients. I'd be happy to know in order to avoid duplication of entries in files, How i can define into the script, if the specific expressions already exist in the file, do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviel.shani
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash redirection

Hi, Can I get some explanation around this bash redirection? From what I have read, x < y means call the shell to redirect the output of y into x. Does this mean that this sequence of commands is executed from right to left? diff <(sort testfile.txt) <(sort testfile2.txt) Thanks, edit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)