Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions awk questions using sort and grep Post 302921595 by Aia on Saturday 18th of October 2014 05:57:31 PM
Old 10-18-2014
Quote:
13)Create 4 files with the suffix .txt in your home directory. Create a sub-directory. Using awk and the UNIX shell move all of the .txt files to the
sub-directory.
Question 13 No clue.
touch is the command that you can use to create the files.
mkdir the sub-dir
pipe a name list of the 4 .txt files using something like ls to awk and sh

It is unusual to use awk for this, but since it looks that it is focus on piping, here's a clue

Code:
ls *.txt | awk '{print "ls -l", $0} | sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep questions

Hi all, My boss wants me to find out how often e-m users are accessing their account:confused:. The mail server keeps log of all logins. I want to use grep the 'usernames', but it should come out the moment it first encounters the username in the log. Can I do that? I want to avoid 10+ greps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep questions

I have the data file: A 1 2 3 BBB 4 5 6 A 7 8 9 I want to grep "A" then-skip a line-then-add two sublines: I my command: grep +3 "A" datafile (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions on GREP command

Hi, Is it possible to display a specific number of lines starting from a line having a particular text using grep command? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF I want to display 3 lines starting with the line having "BBB" to get the result below:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep Questions

Hello All, 1.) I am searching for ".exe" in a text file 2.) I need to search for a hexadecimal entree of at least four digits (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega1589
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep questions

Hello All, I have few of questions related to Grep given below: 1. Like Perl, is it possible in Grep to negate characters in square brackets. For example in Perl, if '^' is used inside '' then it acts as a negation characters. Can same be achieved through Grep's regular expression. 2. How... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

history awk grep sort

can someone help me in the awk part...little confuse on that part. The problem is this: what input each utility gets and what it does with data and what output is provides to the next utility) history | awk '{a++}END{for(i in a){print a " " i}}' | sort -rn | grep '^' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some questions about grep/awk

Hi guys. I need to filter some values from a number of log files. One of the files is: Interconnect Utilisation Results: Achieved Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections: 17 Statistics for Average Number of Concurrent Connections: Point Estimation: Confidence Interval: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Faaz0
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of questions wth grep/sort

I have different things that I was trying to do but am kind of struggling with this since I'm a Linux noob. The backround is that I have two files with student names in the same directory, and each file lists the student name, their major and their grade level. What is the most efficient way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybeer
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk with Grep and Sort

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Please bare in mind I am a complete novice to this and have very very basic knowledge so please keep any answers as simple as possible and explain in terms I will understand ahha :):) I have a text file of names and test scores... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesb18
1 Replies
RDUP-UP(1)							       rdup								RDUP-UP(1)

NAME
rdup-up - update a directory tree with a rdup archive SYNOPSIS
rdup-up [OPTION]... DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
With rdup-up you can update an (possibly) existing directory structure with a rdup archive. The rdup archive has to be given to rdup-up's standard input. Username and uids rdup outputs both the username and uid, the receiving system (which may be a totally different system) checks if the username and uid match. If the username and uid don't match the (numeric) uid is used on the file. The same holds true for the groupname and gid. OPTIONS
-n Do a dry-run and do not create anything on disk. -t Create DIRECTORY (ala mkdir -p) if it does not exist. -s N Strip N path components from a pathname. If the resulting pathname is empty after this operation it is skipped. Be careful however with the following structure: /foo /foo/bar /foo/bar/bla.txt /foo/blork/bla.txt With rdup-up -s2 this will leave: <empty> <empty> /bla.txt /bla.txt And the last 'bla.txt' will overwrite the previous one, this will happen without warnings. -r PATH This option is related to the -s option, but works different. The string PATH is removed from (the beginning of) each pathname. With -r /home/backup the pathname /home/backup/bin/mycmd becomes /bin/mycmd. The same could be done with -s 2, but then you need to count the slashes. Note -s is always performed before -r. -v Be more verbose and echo the processed files to standard output. -vv Be even more verbose and echo processed file and the uid and gid information to standard output. -T Show a table of contents of the rdup stream received (ala tar -tf -). With -T the directory argument is optional. -T unsets any verbose (-v) options. -h A short help message. -V Show the version. EXIT CODE
rdup-up return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-tr(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 13 Dec 2008 RDUP-UP(1)