Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions awk questions using sort and grep Post 302921587 by jamesb18 on Saturday 18th of October 2014 03:49:14 PM
Old 10-18-2014
Really helpful mate, thanks a lot Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep questions

Hi all, My boss wants me to find out how often e-m users are accessing their account:confused:. The mail server keeps log of all logins. I want to use grep the 'usernames', but it should come out the moment it first encounters the username in the log. Can I do that? I want to avoid 10+ greps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep questions

I have the data file: A 1 2 3 BBB 4 5 6 A 7 8 9 I want to grep "A" then-skip a line-then-add two sublines: I my command: grep +3 "A" datafile (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions on GREP command

Hi, Is it possible to display a specific number of lines starting from a line having a particular text using grep command? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF I want to display 3 lines starting with the line having "BBB" to get the result below:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep Questions

Hello All, 1.) I am searching for ".exe" in a text file 2.) I need to search for a hexadecimal entree of at least four digits (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega1589
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep questions

Hello All, I have few of questions related to Grep given below: 1. Like Perl, is it possible in Grep to negate characters in square brackets. For example in Perl, if '^' is used inside '' then it acts as a negation characters. Can same be achieved through Grep's regular expression. 2. How... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

history awk grep sort

can someone help me in the awk part...little confuse on that part. The problem is this: what input each utility gets and what it does with data and what output is provides to the next utility) history | awk '{a++}END{for(i in a){print a " " i}}' | sort -rn | grep '^' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some questions about grep/awk

Hi guys. I need to filter some values from a number of log files. One of the files is: Interconnect Utilisation Results: Achieved Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections: 17 Statistics for Average Number of Concurrent Connections: Point Estimation: Confidence Interval: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Faaz0
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of questions wth grep/sort

I have different things that I was trying to do but am kind of struggling with this since I'm a Linux noob. The backround is that I have two files with student names in the same directory, and each file lists the student name, their major and their grade level. What is the most efficient way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybeer
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk with Grep and Sort

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Please bare in mind I am a complete novice to this and have very very basic knowledge so please keep any answers as simple as possible and explain in terms I will understand ahha :):) I have a text file of names and test scores... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesb18
1 Replies
DPKG-RUBY(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DPKG-RUBY(1)

NAME
dpkg-ruby - Utility to read a dpkg style db file, dpkg-awk clone SYNOPSIS
dpkg-ruby [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-n|--numeric) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-ruby Parses a dpkg status file(or other similarly formated file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, and it can also be told which fields to output. As another option, it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are outputted for each record. If the first field listed is begins with ^, then the list that fol- lows are fields NOT to be outputted. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on our own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>. This manual page are based on (or almost copy from :) dpkg-awk(1) manual written by Adam Heath <doo- gie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-RUBY(1)