Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions awk questions using sort and grep Post 302921587 by jamesb18 on Saturday 18th of October 2014 03:49:14 PM
Old 10-18-2014
Really helpful mate, thanks a lot Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep questions

Hi all, My boss wants me to find out how often e-m users are accessing their account:confused:. The mail server keeps log of all logins. I want to use grep the 'usernames', but it should come out the moment it first encounters the username in the log. Can I do that? I want to avoid 10+ greps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep questions

I have the data file: A 1 2 3 BBB 4 5 6 A 7 8 9 I want to grep "A" then-skip a line-then-add two sublines: I my command: grep +3 "A" datafile (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions on GREP command

Hi, Is it possible to display a specific number of lines starting from a line having a particular text using grep command? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF I want to display 3 lines starting with the line having "BBB" to get the result below:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep Questions

Hello All, 1.) I am searching for ".exe" in a text file 2.) I need to search for a hexadecimal entree of at least four digits (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega1589
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep questions

Hello All, I have few of questions related to Grep given below: 1. Like Perl, is it possible in Grep to negate characters in square brackets. For example in Perl, if '^' is used inside '' then it acts as a negation characters. Can same be achieved through Grep's regular expression. 2. How... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

history awk grep sort

can someone help me in the awk part...little confuse on that part. The problem is this: what input each utility gets and what it does with data and what output is provides to the next utility) history | awk '{a++}END{for(i in a){print a " " i}}' | sort -rn | grep '^' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some questions about grep/awk

Hi guys. I need to filter some values from a number of log files. One of the files is: Interconnect Utilisation Results: Achieved Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections: 17 Statistics for Average Number of Concurrent Connections: Point Estimation: Confidence Interval: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Faaz0
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of questions wth grep/sort

I have different things that I was trying to do but am kind of struggling with this since I'm a Linux noob. The backround is that I have two files with student names in the same directory, and each file lists the student name, their major and their grade level. What is the most efficient way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybeer
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk with Grep and Sort

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Please bare in mind I am a complete novice to this and have very very basic knowledge so please keep any answers as simple as possible and explain in terms I will understand ahha :):) I have a text file of names and test scores... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesb18
1 Replies
JABLICATOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						     JABLICATOR(1)

NAME
jablicator - Share package collection choice across machines SYNOPSIS
jablicator [--root <path>] DESCRIPTION
jablicator generates an "apt-get"-able package. The package itself is empty. However it has a dependency for every non-required Debian package that is on the machine. This program will create and populate two directories dists and pool in your working directory. You can then move them to a web accessible location. This utility is designed to reduce software distribution and maintenance costs by reducing redundant system administration. For example, I have spent a lot of time finding and vetting image processing software from Debian's large package collection. With this utility, my image processing colleague down the hall can easily benefit from the fruit of my labor. There are many replication techniques in Debian. This one has the advantage of using the apt and dpkg infrastructure. A disadvantage is the possibility of packages changing out from under you in the Debian distribution (especially in testing or unstable). That means that jabli- cator output can grow stale over time if it is not regenerated. SECURITY
The packages produced by this program contain a lot of information, including a list of the Debian packages installed on the machine and a listing of apt-get sources. Some system administrators consider sharing such information a security risk. FILES
/etc/apt/sources.list OPTIONS
--root <path> Being able to pull in package selections from another install can be helpful, in the cases of a non-functional system, or reading from a hard drive install under Knoppix. In other words, source from a root filesystem that is not mounted at the root. This is a rare situation and most users should not use this option. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8) apt-get(8). AUTHOR
Jeff Breidenbach <jab@debian.org>. THANKS
Tom Parks, Cliff Weinstein, Burkhard Perkens-Golomb. Debian/GNU Linux September 2001 JABLICATOR(1)