Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change default terminal compiler - Centos Post 302921474 by vbe on Friday 17th of October 2014 09:01:27 AM
Old 10-17-2014
On linux there is a command:
Code:
chsh -s /bin/bash

It should ask to enter your passwd then it should have changed your default shell to bash...
To learn more about the command look at the man pages...

Last edited by rbatte1; 10-17-2014 at 10:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change Terminal Title

Is it possible to change the title of a Terminal window on Solaris? For example, for a MS Windows command window, one can simply type "title NameofWindow" to change the title for a command window. I was looking for similar functionality for terminal windows. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I change the behavior of the mouse in Terminal?

Hi, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum, so here goes. I would like for the mouse right/left click to work in Terminal (OSX) as it does in Putty. For instance, when I double click 'log' in file.log.gz, only the log part is highlighted (in Terminal), while in Putty the entire file name is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheChemist
0 Replies

3. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to change folder color in terminal ?

Hi all, I am really new to UNIX ..and can any1 help me on change the yellow color to blur color (folder) ? Please refer to the attached pictures .. Your help is really appreciated .. :) Have a nice day ! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sauronlord
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change color on another terminal

i already have a running and working script for remote connection. is there a way to change the terminal color everytime I ssh remotely to another server? this is to avoid confusion since I will be using only one server to remotely access around 50 servers (solaris, linux,. etc) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

550 Failed to change directory from FireFTP to CentOS 5.7 VSFTPD

When trying to connect from Mozilla's FireFTP using anonymous or a FTP user on the CentOS 5.7, using VSFTPD I get the following error: 550 Failed to change directory.(View Attachment) This is what I have in my vsftpd.conf file: # Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf # # The default... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

selfservice password change standalone Centos 5.7

Hello, can someone suggest, how to configure server, when a new user that is created on the server centos 5.7, should be prompted to reset their password on his start login. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos

After installing centos iam not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos. However iam able to see the Open Terminal menu, when i right click and it is not working. let me know what are the things i need to check.:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Log Path for Squid on Centos 6

I searched and did not find a useful answer. Can someone please tell me the best practice to change the log directory from /var/log to /opt/squid? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

How do I change my IP via terminal?

Hi, guys, I was using an online utility to check wheather or not an email existed, and they gave me three tries. I thought clearing temp and cookies would work, but it looks like they grabbed a hold of my IP. :mad: Now, I'd like to make a shell script that changes my IP. Not bad...yet. I'm using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ihatewindows
7 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)