Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Replacing control characters in HPUX Post 302921414 by sembii on Thursday 16th of October 2014 09:40:32 PM
Old 10-16-2014
Thanks all,

Problem solved by sed tool. Here is the solution.

Code:
sed 's/\^/^^/g' input.txt | cat -v | sed -e 's/\^A/HEAD/g' -e 's/\^\^/^/g' > output.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing control characters

using c-shell, does anyone know how to send control characters to the printer before the job? I need to set a printer to print in condensed mode HELP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglinsk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search For Control M characters in files

Hi , I have special character control M in many of my files as below ersNet-Telnet-3.03/Makefile.PL100644 21166 144 612 7113770214 135 77 0ustar jayusers## -*- Perl -*-^M ^M use ExtUtils::MakeMaker qw(WriteMakefile);^M ^M WriteMakefile(NAME => "Net::Telnet",^M ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen control characters

Hi, Can anyone help me with controlling the cursor position from a shell script. Things like moving left,right,up,down etc Anyone have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Hallo Team, I am trying to get rid of the dollar sign. I managed to remove all the other special characters but i am struggling with this one. -bash-3.2$ cat -e missing_revenue_20141112.csv|less|head BW0522168531211141180935668@196.23.110.141$ BW092218784121114-370120610@196.23.110.141$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)