Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete lines based on pattern match Post 302921318 by RudiC on Thursday 16th of October 2014 10:38:26 AM
Old 10-16-2014
I think that should be sth like
Code:
awk '/ORA-39083:/{L=NR+4}NR>=L' file

to list more than just that line.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines do NOT match a pattern

On Unix, it is easy to get those lines that match a pattern, by grep pattern file or those lines that do not, by grep -v pattern file but I am editing a file on Windows with Ultraedit. Ultraedit support regular expression based search and replace. I can delete all the lines that match a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JumboGeng
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: match pattern & delete matched lines

Hi all, I have the following data in a file x.csv: > ,this is some text here > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/11/16,0.23 > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/12/16,0.88 < ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this shouldnt be deleted I need to use SED to match anything with a > in the line and delete that line, can someone help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a line that does not match the pattern

hi, i am parsing a file, in that searching for lines those contains "$threadNo.Received message:" , if that line contains the required fields write them into a separate file other wise ignore them. i am using the following code,but it is printing all the lines , i dont want to rpint , please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines

First of all, I know this can be more eassily done with perl or other scripting languages but, that's not the issue. I need this in sed. (or wander if it's possible ) I got a file (trace file to recreate the control file from oracle for the dba boys) which contains some lines another line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete block of lines when pattern does not match

I have this input file that I need to remove lines which represents more than 30 days of processing. Input file: On 11/17/2009 at 12:30:00, Program started processing...argc=7 Total number of bytes in file being processed is 390 Message buffer of length=390 was allocated successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies
EXIGREP(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)