Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Sftp server/chrooted trying to limit user permissions Post 302921174 by Corona688 on Wednesday 15th of October 2014 01:23:04 PM
Old 10-15-2014
Quote:
My question is how can I minimize the permissions of the chrooted user so that he/she can upload ONLY, not list what's in the directory, manipulate what's already in there, etc. When I tried locking down the permissions I started running into problems - with only write and/or execute the user was not able to get into the directory, etc. Or is this a limitation with this kind of setup, namely that the chrooted user has to have elevated (rwe) permissions for this to work?
The ability to eXecute a directory is what allows you to cd into it.

The ability to Write to a directory is what allows you to add files to it -- as well as delete and rename them.

The ability to Read a directory is what allows you to list its contents.

It may be possible to make a write-only directory with access control lists, but ordinary rwx doesn't offer this.

You could also just give him a different folder. Nothing to stomp on or delete except his own files that way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sftp permissions

Hi I've been banging my head with this problem for two days, and I'm quite hopeless. First of all, i would like to insist that no samba is involved. I have a bunch of users whose home directory is /home/SFFS . Always. All of them. And they all belong to the group sffs. Permissions of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calvin1602
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp file size limit

Hi, Can some one please tell me the file size limit (if any) while using sftp I am trying to transfer a file ( size is almost 350 MB ) but it fails as shown below. sftp> put file1 ./file1 Uploading file1 to /dir1/./file1 file1 25% 100MB 10.2MB/s 00:28 ETA Couldn't write to remote... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

Loggin SFTP activity for chrooted (rssh) users

Hi, I need to log the activity of my SFTP (RHEL 5.4). I have this in /etc/sshd/sshd_config: Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -f LOCAL5 -l VERBOSE And this in /etc/syslog.conf: LOCAL5.* /var/log/sftp.log When I log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chrooted SFTP upload folder

Hi List, I have set up a chrooted SFTP setup following the instructions I found on tech republic: /blog/opensource/chroot-users-with-openssh-an-easier-way-to-confine-users-to-their-home-directories/229 I have successfully got it all working and I can download files when logged in via sftp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
0 Replies

5. Solaris

How do files transferred via ftp or sftp gets thier permissions at destination?

We have umask defined under /etc/.login as 022. I have my user specific umask defined in /userhome/.login as 002. I understand ftp will not execute anything at destination, it simply transfers files. But it seem to be using 022 as umask for the files transferred. How does ftp knows what umask... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sftp user chrooted in a directory

Hello, I have a task to create 3 users that must connect only via sftp on a machine, and must have only read access to a certain directory (thay shouldn;t be able to cd anywhere else) The problem is that the directory where these users must have access to, it's already created/owned by another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

SFTP with limit(l) option

Hi, I have sftp installed in some of my corporate servers (test and production). However, I notice that it does not have the limit(l) option for bandwidth limit option. Why is this? Is it because sftp was not installed with other necessary packages? How do I make sftp available with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp change file permissions

Hi All, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I havent been able to resolve an issue and would like some help. I am getting files pushed to me via sftp. The files once pushed to my server in folder ABC have -rw------- but I need these files to have the following -rw-rw---- to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: israr75
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change sFTP home directory for particular user and from specific server

Hello Folks, Of course i came here for your favour :) How to set a defalult home directory for sFTP login ( at present users land in to their home directrory) when they connect from specific server. When server(A) sFTP's to Linux server(B) they land to thier home directory. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
5 Replies
LS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LS(1)

NAME
ls, lc - list contents of directory SYNOPSIS
ls [ -dlmnpqrstuFQ ] name ... lc [ -dlmnpqrstuFQ ] name ... DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, ls lists the contents of the directory; for each file argument, ls repeats its name and any other information requested. When no argument is given, the current directory is listed. By default, the output is sorted alphabetically by name. Lc is the same as ls, but sets the -p option and pipes the output through mc(1). There are a number of options: -d If argument is a directory, list it, not its contents. -l List in long format, giving mode (see below), file system type (e.g., for devices, the # code letter that names it; see intro(3)), the instance or subdevice number, owner, group, size in bytes, and time of last modification for each file. -m List the name of the user who most recently modified the file. -n Don't sort the listing. -p Print only the final path element of each file name. -q List the qid (see stat(3)) of each file; the printed fields are in the order path, version, and type. -r Reverse the order of sort. -s Give size in Kbytes for each entry. -t Sort by time modified (latest first) instead of by name. -u Under -t sort by time of last access; under -l print time of last access. -F Add the character / after all directory names and the character * after all executable files. -L Print the character t before each file if it has the temporary flag set, and - otherwise. -Q By default, printed file names are quoted if they contain characters special to rc(1). The -Q flag disables this behavior. The mode printed under the -l option contains 11 characters, interpreted as follows: the first character is d if the entry is a directory; a if the entry is an append-only file; D if the entry is a Unix device; L if the entry is a symbolic link; P if the entry is a named pipe; S if the entry is a socket; - if the entry is a plain file. The next letter is l if the file is exclusive access (one writer or reader at a time). The last 9 characters are interpreted as three sets of three bits each. The first set refers to owner permissions; the next to permissions to others in the same user-group; and the last to all others. Within each set the three characters indicate permission respectively to read, to write, or to execute the file as a program. For a directory, `execute' permission is interpreted to mean permission to search the directory for a specified file. The permissions are indicated as follows: r if the file is readable; w if the file is writable; x if the file is executable; - if none of the above permissions is granted. SOURCE
/src/cmd/ls.c /bin/lc SEE ALSO
stat(3), mc(1) LS(1)