Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar backup of debian server
Operating Systems Linux Debian Tar backup of debian server Post 302921132 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 15th of October 2014 06:05:22 AM
Old 10-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolatt
The following is the command I use for backup:

Code:
tar -cvpf /BACKUP/backup-PROD.tar /        \
   --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found   \
   --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys           \
   --exclude=/dev --exclude=/BACKUP        \
   --exclude=/media

The restore was done on a PC, I boot with a live CD, wipe everything on the /
, then UNTAR everything there.

For the PC to successfully boot:
1. MBR/GRUB must be properly configured
2. udev > persistent rules - must remove the MAC addresses
3. in /boot/grub directory necessary changes needs to be done if you are changing from a raid 1 to a non-raid configuration.

The restore was a good experience for me and worked without any issues
Dear coolatt,

Thanks for the update and the really useful procedure and list of updates that are required (I've split the line up so it shows clearly here) I'm not sure if it is officially supported or what complications you might hit with dissimilar hardware, but if it gives people a starting point to clone with then that's really useful. There are also commercial products available which can do this, but I have no ideas on the costs or your budget.
The two I know of are Adaptable System Recovery and Christie Clone Manager

As for citations, I have used ASR myself. It's good and a DR solution that you can bare-metal recover from (or clone). My company has use CCM elsewhere for transferring in servers from another company. It might need the live server available to clone elsewhere as opposed to the backup/restore that ASR gives you. I am less familiar with it.

I hope that these help, but in any case thanks for your input. Smilie

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Using `tar` for a selective backup.

Hi all & anyone. I'm trying to selectively backup up some old Apache log files before they are removed from the system (Slackware box). Have created a file listing of what I want backed up ...Below is a portion of the file ./selectedbkup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup help/advice using TAR

Every day we back up all files on our system that are older than 7 days, so effectively we do a day's worth at a time. The way we do this is to issue a find command using mtime +7 - we then loop round and for each result we issue a MV to move the file to a newly created directory. We then TAR the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonysab
20 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tar file from Linux server to PC for backup

I have a Linux email server, I want to backup all /home /var... by tar command and copy to my PC for backup everyweek. The Linux serve rhave ftp function. Is there any program to help backup my file? any url welcome many thank. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

tar backup on network

Hi all, i need to backup files on network from RHEL 4 machine tape drive is installed on solaris 10 machine and want ot use this using # tar cv /myfiles |ssh -l myuser myhost 'buffer -o /dev/rmt/0 " to backup these file but getting getting error " sh buffer not found ' even "buffer-1.19-1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajays
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

10. Debian

backup debian-nas

hello i want to backup my debian running nas (only the debian part) i wanna do this over ssh is this possible and how to do this thx ---------- Post updated at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:57 AM ---------- the thing is i f this is possible i wanne have te back up of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joosted
2 Replies
FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)						       fsvs						    FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)

NAME
HOWTO: Backup - This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. Preparation If you're going to back up your system, you have to decide what you want to have stored in your backup, and what should be left out. Depending on your system usage and environment you first have to decide: o Do you only want to backup your data in /home? o Less storage requirements o In case of hardware crash the OS must be set up again o Do you want to keep track of your configuration in /etc? o Very small storage overhead o Not much use for backup/restore, but shows what has been changed o Or do you want to backup your whole installation, from / on? o Whole system versioned, restore is only a few commands o Much more storage space needed - typically you'd need at least a few GB free space. The next few moments should be spent thinking about the storage space for the repository - will it be on the system harddisk, a secondary or an external harddisk, or even off-site? Note: If you just created a fresh repository, you probably should create the 'default' directory structure for subversion - trunk, branches, tags; this layout might be useful for your backups. The URL you'd use in fsvs would go to trunk. Possibly you'll have to take the available bandwidth into your considerations; a single home directory may be backed up on a 56k modem, but a complete system installation would likely need at least some kind of DSL or LAN. Note: If this is a production box with sparse, small changes, you could take the initial backup on a local harddisk, transfer the directory with some media to the target machine, and switch the URLs. A fair bit of time should go to a small investigation which file patterns and paths you not want to back-up. o Backup files like *.bak, *~, *.tmp, and similar o History files: .sh-history and similar in the home-directories o Cache directories: your favourite browser might store many MB of cached data in you home-directories o Virtual system directories, like /proc and /sys, /dev/shmfs. Telling FSVS what to do Given $WC as the working directory - the base of the data you'd like backed up (/, /home), and $URL as a valid subversion URL to your (already created) repository path. Independent of all these details the first steps look like these: cd $WC fsvs urls $URL Now you have to say what should be ignored - that'll differ depending on your needs/wishes. fsvs ignore './**~' './**.tmp' './**.bak' fsvs ignore ./proc/ ./sys/ ./tmp/ fsvs ignore ./var/tmp/ ./var/spool/lpd/ fsvs ignore './var/log/*.gz' fsvs ignore ./var/run/ /dev/pts/ fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-dist' './etc/*.dpkg-new' fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-old' './etc/*.dpkg-bak' Note: /var/run is for transient files; I've heard reports that reverting files there can cause problems with running programs. Similar for /dev/pts - if that's a devpts filesystem, you'll run into problems on update or revert - as FSVS won't be allowed to create entries in this directory. Now you may find that you'd like to have some files encrypted in your backup - like /etc/shadow, or your .ssh/id_* files. So you tell fsvs to en/decrypt these files: fsvs propset fsvs:commit-pipe 'gpg -er {your backup key}' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow fsvs propset fsvs:update-pipe 'gpg -d' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow Note: This are just examples. You'll probably have to exclude some other paths and patterns from your backup, and mark some others as to-be- filtered. The first backup fsvs commit -m 'First commit.' That's all there is to it! Further use and maintenance The further usage is more or less the commit command from the last section. When do you have to do some manual work? o When ignore patterns change. o New filesystems that should be ignored, or would be ignored but shouldn't o You find that your favorite word-processor leaves many *.segv files behind, and similar things o If you get an error message from fsvs, check the arguments and retry. In desperate cases (or just because it's quicker than debugging yourself) ask on dev [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Restoration in a working system Depending on the circumstances you can take different ways to restore data from your repository. o 'fsvs export' allows you to just dump some repository data into your filesystem - eg. into a temporary directory to sort things out. o Using 'fsvs revert' you can get older revisions of a given file, directory or directory tree inplace. o Or you can do a fresh checkout - set an URL in an (empty) directory, and update to the needed revision. o If everything else fails (no backup media with fsvs on it), you can use subversion commands (eg. export) to restore needed parts, and update the rest with fsvs. Recovery for a non-booting system In case of a real emergency, when your harddisks crashed or your filesystem was eaten and you have to re-partition or re-format, you should get your system working again by o booting from a knoppix or some other Live-CD (with FSVS on it), o partition/format as needed, o mount your harddisk partitions below eg. /mnt, o and then recovering by $ cd /mnt $ export FSVS_CONF=/etc/fsvs # if non-standard $ export FSVS_WAA=/var/spool/fsvs # if non-standard $ fsvs checkout -o softroot=/mnt If somebody asks really nice I'd possibly even create a recovery command that deduces the softroot parameter from the current working directory. For more information please take a look at Using an alternate root directory. Feedback If you've got any questions, ideas, wishes or other feedback, please tell us in the mailing list users [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Thank you! Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for fsvs from the source code. Version trunk:2424 11 Mar 2010 FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)