Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar backup of debian server
Operating Systems Linux Debian Tar backup of debian server Post 302921115 by coolatt on Wednesday 15th of October 2014 02:53:14 AM
Old 10-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea
Also, since you passed --directory=/, the dot refers to all subdirs within that directory, but those you excluded.

hth
in your reply you mean to say "except those you excluded" .. right ?

I always avoided to use the word "but" to mean an exception..I think others might get confused as well.. that's why I replied on your post Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to coolatt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Using `tar` for a selective backup.

Hi all & anyone. I'm trying to selectively backup up some old Apache log files before they are removed from the system (Slackware box). Have created a file listing of what I want backed up ...Below is a portion of the file ./selectedbkup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup help/advice using TAR

Every day we back up all files on our system that are older than 7 days, so effectively we do a day's worth at a time. The way we do this is to issue a find command using mtime +7 - we then loop round and for each result we issue a MV to move the file to a newly created directory. We then TAR the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonysab
20 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tar file from Linux server to PC for backup

I have a Linux email server, I want to backup all /home /var... by tar command and copy to my PC for backup everyweek. The Linux serve rhave ftp function. Is there any program to help backup my file? any url welcome many thank. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

tar backup on network

Hi all, i need to backup files on network from RHEL 4 machine tape drive is installed on solaris 10 machine and want ot use this using # tar cv /myfiles |ssh -l myuser myhost 'buffer -o /dev/rmt/0 " to backup these file but getting getting error " sh buffer not found ' even "buffer-1.19-1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajays
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

10. Debian

backup debian-nas

hello i want to backup my debian running nas (only the debian part) i wanna do this over ssh is this possible and how to do this thx ---------- Post updated at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:57 AM ---------- the thing is i f this is possible i wanne have te back up of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joosted
2 Replies
RDIFF-BACKUP(1) 						   User Manuals 						   RDIFF-BACKUP(1)

NAME
rdiff-backup-statistics - summarize rdiff-backup statistics files SYNOPSIS
rdiff-backup-statistics [--begin-time time] [--end-time time] [--minimum-ratio ratio] [--null-separator] [--quiet] repository DESCRIPTION
rdiff-backup-statistics reads the matching statistics files in a backup repository made by rdiff-backup and prints some summary statistics to the screen. It does not alter the repository in any way. The required argument is the pathname of the root of an rdiff-backup repository. For instance, if you ran "rdiff-backup in out", you could later run "rdiff-backup-statistics out". The output has two parts. The first is simply an average of the all matching session_statistics files. The meaning of these fields is explained in the FAQ included in the package, and also at http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#statistics. The second section lists some particularly significant files (including directories). These files are either contain a lot of data, take up increment space, or contain a lot of changed files. All the files that are above the minimum ratio (default 5%) will be listed. If a file or directory is listed, its contributions are subtracted from its parent. That is why the percentage listed after a directory can be larger than the percentage of its parent. Without this, the root directory would always be the largest, and the output would be boring. OPTIONS
--begin-time time Do not read statistics files older than time. By default, all statistics files will be read. time should be in the same format taken by --restore-as-of. (See TIME FORMATS in the rdiff-backup man page for details.) --end-time time Like --begin-time but exclude statistics files later than time. --minimum-ratio ratio Print all directories contributing more than the given ratio to the total. The default value is .05, or 5 percent. --null-separator Specify that the lines of the file_statistics file are separated by nulls (). The default is to assume that newlines separate. Use this switch if rdiff-backup was run with the --null-separator when making the given repository. --quiet Suppress printing of the "Processing statistics from session..." output lines. BUGS
When aggregating multiple statistics files, some directories above (but close to) the minimum ratio may not be displayed. For this reason, you may want to set the minimum-ratio lower than need. AUTHOR
Ben Escoto <ben@emerose.org>, based on original script by Dean Gaudet. SEE ALSO
rdiff-backup(1), python(1). The rdiff-backup web page is at http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/. Version 1.2.8 March 2009 RDIFF-BACKUP(1)