Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ksh: run commands from pipe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ksh: run commands from pipe Post 302921059 by Cochise on Tuesday 14th of October 2014 02:16:51 PM
Old 10-14-2014
Ksh: run commands from pipe

I create commands within a pipe and finally want them to be executed instead of being displayed on the screen. What is the last stage in this pipe? I found by guessing that "ksh" is working, but is this the best to use here?

It boils down to this:

Code:
 echo "print Hello World!"| ksh

What is the "best" command at the end of the pipe to execute the commands that come down the pipe?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh GUI commands

I have a few scripts that i would like to make into GUI's. Are there scripting commands to make GUI's if so where can i get the list of commands and what they do or if anyone has an example of it. Anything will help, thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daltonkf
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh substring commands

I am trying to get various portions of strings in my script, but am getting a substitution error. I followed the syntax that was described when I goggled this, but I can't get anything to work. #! /bin/ksh/ hello="adklafk;afak" #hello=${hello:3} hello=${$hello:3} happy="hey" echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anderssl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run commands

It would be helpful if someone could help me out here. The problem I have been having is that I cannot run some commands which are valid - whenever I try to run the command I get the message "command not found". Now, if I run the same command as root it executes. These commands do not have to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking return value of commands in pipe

Hi, I am wondering how I can check the return value of all commands in a pipe such as gzip -dc file.gz | sort -u > output.txt If I run this sequence in bash and check $?, I get the return status from sort. But I want to know if the initial gzip failed. Similarly for longer pipe chains,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: btherl
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Better KSH commands

Are there any documents available for checking the execution time taken by ksh commands? My requirement is to fine tune a set of shell scripts having lot of "echos" and "date"s. Is there a better replacement for the below code?. echo "ABC process started on `date`" some code.. echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh with Oracle commands

works fine. echo "Deleting CHOPOne Coreaccess from LAUA..." $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password@servername << ! delete from usergrpdtl where username='acker'; commit; ! but not working with "if statement" even $TMPDIR/adlogin.log exists and greater than 0. if then ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe or combine output of three awk commands

What is the correct syntax to pipe or run three awk commands? Basically, using the output of the first awk as input in the second. Then using the output of the second awk in the third. Thank you :). awk 'FNR==NR {E; next }$3 in E {print $3, $5}' panel_genes.txt RefSeqGene.txt > update.txt |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Linux

How to run commands with pipe from text file?

Hello, I have standard loop while read -r info; do command $info done < info in info text file I have multiple commands each on line that I want to execute. When I used them in console they worked, but not with this loop. This is one of the commands in info file: grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamlevine
4 Replies
intel_panel_fitter(1)					      General Commands Manual					     intel_panel_fitter(1)

NAME
intel_panel_fitter - Change the panel fitter settings SYNOPSIS
intel_panel_fitter [options] DESCRIPTION
intel_panel_fitter is a tool that allows you to change the panel fitter settings, so you can change the size of the screen being displayed on your monitor without changing the real pixel size of your desktop. The biggest use case for this tool is to work around overscan done by TVs and some monitors in interlaced mode. Options -p [pipe] pipe to be used (A, B or C, but C is only present on Ivy Bridge and newer). -x [value] final screen width size in pixels (needs -p option). -y [value] final screen height size in pixels (needs -p option). -d disable panel fitter (needs -p option, ignores -x and -y options). -l list current state of each pipe. -h prints the help message. EXAMPLES
intel_panel_fitter -l will list the current status of each pipe, so you can decide what to do. intel_panel_fitter -p A -x 1850 -y 1040 will change the pipe A size to 1850x1040 pixels. intel_panel_fitter -p A -d will disable the panel fitter for pipe A. NOTES
In the future, there will be support for this feature inside the Linux Kernel. Machines older than Ironlake are still not supported, but support may be possible to implement. X Version 11 intel-gpu-tools 1.3 intel_panel_fitter(1)