Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting indented text files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting indented text files Post 302920994 by kobel on Tuesday 14th of October 2014 05:57:04 AM
Old 10-14-2014
Sorting indented text files

Hello,

I'm trying to find a solution or a proper tool for the following job: I need to sort a text document with indented sections, so all levels of indentation are sorted independently for each section.

Particularly, I need this for Cisco routers' running config files to compare them with configuration templates.

Input example:
Code:
! comment
command d
command b
command c
! 
interface b
   podcommand b
   podcommand a
!
interface a
   podcommand b
   podcommand a
! 
command a

Expected output:
Code:
command a
command b
command c
command d
interface a
   podcommand a
   podcommand b
interface b
   podcommand a
   podcommand b

I've checked sort man page and looked for similar awk scripts, bot to no avail... Any ideas for a quick solution?

best regards
kobel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error in sorting text file

Hi Having a file as below file.txt error Server Network Name Dept Date Time =========================================================================================================================== 0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file

In unix how to sort in reverse order based on second field in a text file. $ cat data1 David:501 Albie:503 Shaun:502 The expected output: Albie:503 Shaun:502 David:501 Please help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon2ryhme
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group on the basis of common text in the square bracket and sorting

File A 99 >ac >ss >juk 70 >acb >defa 90 >ca 100 >aa >abc >bca 85 >cde 81 >ghi >ghij 87 >def >fgh <ijk 89 >fck >ghij >kill >aa The given output shud be 100 >aa >abc >bca 87 >def >fgh <ijk 89 >fck >ghij >kill >aa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need help in sorting two files

i have file a 123 234 456 567 678 and file b 123|xxx|hhh|ppp or zzz 234|rrr|ttt|xxx 432|ttt|mmm|nnn 678|cft|byt|mop i want to compare file a to file b such that when each of the lines in file a can be found in file b column1 and also xxx or hhh or ppp or zzz can be... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a specified column in a text file

I have a tab delimited file with 5 columns 79 A B 20.2340 6.1488 8.5086 1.3838 87 A B 0.1310 0.0382 0.0054 0.1413 88 A B 46.1651 99.0000 21.8107 0.2203 89 A B 0.1400 0.1132 0.0151 0.1334 114 A B 0.1088 0.0522 0.0057 0.1083 115 A B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Problem in sorting a text file

Hi; I have a text file like this: 1 10 11 2 3 4 M X Y When I sort it numerically using sort -n, it looks like this: Y X M 1 2 3 4 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex data sorting in excel files or text files

Dear all, I have a complex data file shown below,,,,, A_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 C_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 A_ABCDEF715 52410.9 18598.2 10611 10754.7 122535 252426 36631.4 C_DBCDI_1353 0... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAWT
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file with respect to Function/Keyword

Hello Experts, I am truly a beginner in shell and perl . Need an urgent help with sorting a file. please help. wouldn't mind whether in perl or shell script. Here are the details. ------------------------------------------------------ Input Text file EX:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
9 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	     Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree - A Visitor for loading the contents of a directory into a Tree::Simple object SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree; # create a Tree::Simple object whose # node is path to a directory my $tree = Tree::Simple->new("./"); # create an instance of our visitor my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree->new(); # set the directory sorting style $visitor->setSortStyle($visitor->SORT_FILES_FIRST); # create node filter to filter # out certain files and directories $visitor->setNodeFilter(sub { my ($item) = @_; return 0 if $item =~ /CVS/; return 1; }); # pass the visitor to a Tree::Simple object $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree now mirrors the structure of the directory DESCRIPTION
This visitor can be used to load a directory tree into a Tree::Simple hierarchy. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" and "setSortStyle" methods to customize its behavior. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are created. The function is given the current directory or file being added to the tree, and it is expected to return either true(1) of false(0) to determine if that directory should be traversed or file added to the tree. setSortStyle ($sort_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $sort_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This function is used to sort the individual levels of the directory tree right before it is added to the tree being built. The function is passed the the current path, followed by the two items being sorted. The reason for passing the path in is so that sorting operations can be performed on the entire path if desired. Two pre-built functions are supplied and described below. SORT_FILES_FIRST This sorting function will sort files before directories, so that files are sorted alphabetically first in the list followed by directories sorted alphabetically. Here is example of how that would look: Tree/ Simple.pm Simple/ Visitor.pm VisitorFactory.pm Visitor/ PathToRoot.pm SORT_DIRS_FIRST This sorting function will sort directories before files, so that directories are sorted alphabetically first in the list followed by files sorted alphabetically. Here is example of how that would look: Tree/ Simple/ Visitor/ PathToRoot.pm Visitor.pm VisitorFactory.pm Simple.pm visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. The node value of the $tree argument (gotten by calling "getNodeValue") is considered the root directory from which we begin our traversal. We use File::Spec to keep our paths cross-platform, but it is expected that you will feed in a valid path for your OS. If the path either does not exist, or is not a directory, then an exception is thrown. The $tree argument which is passed to "visit" must be a leaf node. This is because this Visitor will create all the sub-nodes for this tree. If the tree is not a leaf, an exception is thrown. We do not require the tree to be a root though, and this Visitor will not affect any nodes above the $tree argument. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)