Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep behaves diffrent upon printf or echo output Post 302920926 by neutronscott on Monday 13th of October 2014 04:05:06 PM
Old 10-13-2014
You only care if 1 of those 3 options are passed? And how did you use printf?

Code:
$ echo "$@"
one two three
$ printf "$@"
one$

Clearly the printf statement needs to be different. This will give the same string:
Code:
$ printf '%s\n' "$*"
one two three

But keeping the idea of using printf and grep, perhaps you want:

Code:
$ echo "$@"
-L -i
$ printf '%s\n' "$@" | grep -c -- -[Lih]

Now we know we had 2 of the 3 options...
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I output or echo NONE if grep does not find anything?

I am performing a grep command and I need to know how to echo "NONE" or "0" to my file if grep does not find what i am looking for. echo What i found >> My_File grep "SOMETHING" >> My_File I am sure this is easy, I am sort of new at this! Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

advanced echo/printf

I want to print a colored line using bash. I want to print: Smtp status where "Smtp status" will be in yellow and will be in green. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf/echo in a second script

This may be little confusing. I have Script1, which pulls data from the system and creates another script(lets say script2). While I run script1 I need to add printf/echo statements for script2, so that when I run script2 I see those statement. eg: script1 765 printf " display frame-$1 timeoffset... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Diffrent output in cron jobs

Hi, I have issue with cron. When i run script manually output is fine but when i add it to cron output file is not as same. both file attach some junk charecter comming in cron output. thanx Jignesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmistry
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Managing output... echo or printf?

Hello script guru's as i write more and more code i always block at managing output... either writing to standard out, writing to files via std out (log, temp file, etc). Don't get me wrong 99% of the time it DOES the job but maybe there is more efficient. I'm writing a small script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

8. Linux

Availability: echo vs. printf?

Hello, For some reason i dont remember, i currently believe (but beeing unsure) that printf is available on more diffrent systems (unix, bsd, linux, ??) than echo is. Could someone please enlighten me, whether this is true or not? Thank you PS: I just found pages about the diffrences of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy-pasted code behaves diffrent

Heyas I'm currently attempting to apply the code of tui-select to tui-list. That is because tui-list simply made a 1 string list, while tui-select uses dynamicly up to 3 strings per line. Anyway, so i copy pasted the code, and just made the changes marked with red.... Know that both scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep echo awk print all output on one line

Hello, I've been trying to find the answer to this with Google and trying to browse the forums, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. If this has already been answered, please link me to the thread as I can't find it. I've been asked to write a script that pulls a list of our CPE... (51 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwalker
51 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. The end-of-options marker -- is not recognized and written literally. The newline may also be suppressed by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that the -n option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. For porta- bility, echo should only be used if the first argument does not start with a hyphen ('-') and does not contain any backslashes (''). If this is not sufficient, printf(1) should be used. Most shells provide a builtin echo command which tends to differ from this utility in the treatment of options and backslashes. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
November 12, 2010 BSD