Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep behaves diffrent upon printf or echo output Post 302920922 by sea on Monday 13th of October 2014 03:51:11 PM
Old 10-13-2014
Grep behaves diffrent upon printf or echo output

Hello

I want to check whether certain arguments were passed to the script, and when those are, not doing a log entry.
If those arguments are not passed, always do a log entry (*new call*).

What currently i have is this:
Code:
	echo "${@}"|grep -q \\-[Lih] || \
		tui-log -e "$LOG" "\r---- New call $$ ----"

Which upon these 2 commands, produces these lines within the logfiles:
Code:
vhs -h ; vhs -L

With echo i have the expected output:
Code:
21:42:46         Show Help
21:42:46         Show Logfile
21:42:49         Show Help
21:42:49         Show Logfile

However, as soon i change echo to become printf, it produces this (not wanted):
Code:
---- New call 17388 ----
21:44:19         Show Help

---- New call 17423 ----
21:44:19         Show Logfile

In addition i wanted to use [[:space:]]\\-[Lih], but i assume that is another issue?
I've tried quoting the regex, but still fails.

System:
Code:
export LC_ALL=C ; uname -r ; echo "--" ; $SHELL --version
3.16.3-200.fc20.x86_64
--
GNU bash, version 4.2.51(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I output or echo NONE if grep does not find anything?

I am performing a grep command and I need to know how to echo "NONE" or "0" to my file if grep does not find what i am looking for. echo What i found >> My_File grep "SOMETHING" >> My_File I am sure this is easy, I am sort of new at this! Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

advanced echo/printf

I want to print a colored line using bash. I want to print: Smtp status where "Smtp status" will be in yellow and will be in green. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf/echo in a second script

This may be little confusing. I have Script1, which pulls data from the system and creates another script(lets say script2). While I run script1 I need to add printf/echo statements for script2, so that when I run script2 I see those statement. eg: script1 765 printf " display frame-$1 timeoffset... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Diffrent output in cron jobs

Hi, I have issue with cron. When i run script manually output is fine but when i add it to cron output file is not as same. both file attach some junk charecter comming in cron output. thanx Jignesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmistry
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Managing output... echo or printf?

Hello script guru's as i write more and more code i always block at managing output... either writing to standard out, writing to files via std out (log, temp file, etc). Don't get me wrong 99% of the time it DOES the job but maybe there is more efficient. I'm writing a small script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

8. Linux

Availability: echo vs. printf?

Hello, For some reason i dont remember, i currently believe (but beeing unsure) that printf is available on more diffrent systems (unix, bsd, linux, ??) than echo is. Could someone please enlighten me, whether this is true or not? Thank you PS: I just found pages about the diffrences of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy-pasted code behaves diffrent

Heyas I'm currently attempting to apply the code of tui-select to tui-list. That is because tui-list simply made a 1 string list, while tui-select uses dynamicly up to 3 strings per line. Anyway, so i copy pasted the code, and just made the changes marked with red.... Know that both scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep echo awk print all output on one line

Hello, I've been trying to find the answer to this with Google and trying to browse the forums, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. If this has already been answered, please link me to the thread as I can't find it. I've been asked to write a script that pulls a list of our CPE... (51 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwalker
51 Replies
hexec(1)																  hexec(1)

NAME
hexec - a process execution hooking tool SYNOPSIS
hexec <OPTIONS> [expr] [cmd] [args...] DESCRIPTION
hexec is a tool to hook into process exececution calls (exec family of syscalls). You can define an expression that is executed against any hooked exec call. This expression may also contain a replacement exec call. OPTIONS SUMMARY
Here is a summary of the options to hexec. --help | -h Print a options/expr summary page --version | -v Print hexec version --log-out | -lo set output file for error and -print output OPTIONS
-h Print a options/expr summary page --help Print a options/expr summary page -lo Set the output file for error and -print output. This can be required if writing to stderr could cause malfunction because some processes read from stderr and expect a well defined output. EXPRESSIONS
The expression is executed against all process execution calls. If the expression returns true, the original call is skipped. <expr> -and <expr> <expr> -a <expr> <expr> <expr> Returns true if both expressions return true. If the left returns false, the right expression is never executed. <expr> -or <expr> <expr> -o <expr> Returns true if one of both expressions returns true. If the left returns true, the right expression is never executed. -path <pattern> Returns true if the path of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -ipath <pattern> Same as -path, but case insensitive. -name <pattern> Returns true if the base name of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -iname <pattern> Same as -name, but case insensitive. -contains <str> Returns true if the path of the executable containes the string <str>. -icontains <str> Same as -contains, but case insensitive. -print Print all arguments to the called process. Returns always true. -exec <cmd> [args...] ; Executes <cmd> with [args...] as arguments. This expression must be terminated with a semicolon. You can use argument placeholders in <cmd> and [args...] (see below). This expression always returns true. NOTE: Please be aware that you may need to escape or quote the terminating semicolon to not confuse your shell. -sh <script> Interprets <script> as a shell script by invoking /bin/sh with the arguments -c '<script>'. You can use argument placeholders inside <script>. Please note that -sh only expects a single argument and not a variable list of arguments (as -exec does). Using -sh is the same as using -exec sh -c <script>. PLACEHOLDERS FOR -exec EXPRESSION Every -exec expression can use placeholders in the argument list to obtain information from the original exec call. Each placeholder starts with { and ends with }. Use { if you want to use a { in your argument list. The placeholders are replaced when the -exec expression is evaluated. Placeholder types: {n} Will be replaced with the number of arguments in the original call. {<idx>} Will be replaced with the original argument at index <idx>. Example: {1} would give the first argument. You can prepend <idx> with placeholder flags. {} Will be replaced with all arguments from the original call. Each argument is seperated with a space. You can use placeholder flags. NOTE: The executable name is also considered as argument. This means that a call like "echo test" will result in two arguments, "echo" and "test". PLACEHOLDER FLAGS
s Every argument is inserted as single argument instead of concatenating all arguments. Consider the arguments 'a', 'b' and 'c'. Without s, -exec {} ; would result in -exec 'a b c' ;, which in many cases is not what you want. -exec {s} ; howewer would result in -exec 'a' 'b' 'c' ;. q Quote every single argument. e Escape all non alpha-numeric characters. This flag is very useful when using a "sh -c <...>" in the -exec expression. Examples -exec echo {} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a b c' -exec echo {q} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a' 'b' 'c' -exec sh -c 'echo {}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' Please note that this will not do what you may expect, as the >> is handled wrong in this case. -exec sh -c 'echo {e}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' CHANGES TO PROCESSES
hexec will add some environment variables to the hooked processes. These are (may not be complete): LD_PRELOAD hexec adds libhexec-hook.so to the list of preloaded libraries. HEXEC_EXPR_SHM Contains the name of the internal shared memory object. HEXEC_LOG_FD Contains the file descriptor for error and -print output. Please do never modify these environment variables. Also take care when you use these variables, because the name and content of the vari- ables may change in the future. EXAMPLES
hexec -name 'gcc' -exec ccache {s} ; make Calls make, which will then call gcc several times. The executable name of each hooked process execution is tested against the file pattern "gcc" and "ccache {s}" is called each time a match is found. '{s}' will be replaced with the original (the hooked) call. In this example, a call to "gcc -o test.o test.c" would be replaced with "ccache gcc -o test.o test.c" HOW IT WORKS
TODO BUGS
I'm sure there are alot...it's still beta :) AUTHOR
hexec was written by Alexander Block http://blocksoftware.net/ If you wish to report a problem or make a suggestion then please email ablock@blocksoftware.net hexec is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. Please see the file COPYING for license details. November 2008 hexec(1)