Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Volume group delete is not possible Post 302920911 by bakunin on Monday 13th of October 2014 02:24:27 PM
Old 10-13-2014
ibmtech is correct. The problem is that AIX does its bookkeeping about VGs, their LVs, their devices, etc. in the ODM (mostly CuAt and CuDv). You could (in theory) clean up this mismatch between hardware and configuration data by manipulating the ODM directly, but i strongly suggest not to do so. You would have to have in-depth knowledge about the organization of the various ODM tables and one little error might render your system in even worse shape than it is now.

My suggestion is to reboot the system. This will let "cfgmgr", which fills most ODM tables, run in Phase 1 and hopefully correct/cleanup a lot of the wrong entries. If still residues of the now missing disk remain (you should see them as "defined" in a "lsdev" listing) remove them with "rmdev" and "exportvg", as suggested by ibmtech. If the disk is a SAN device you might need to remove SAN-pseudodevices first (for instance, in EMC storage you have "hdiskpowerX" devices and each path is represented by a "hdiskX" device. You might have something similar, depending on the SAN you have).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to increase PV's in a Volume group ?

I have a Volume group on one of my production box. The no of PV's within the same is 16 which I need to increase. How can this be done ? Can this be done online or do we need a downtime for this ? Please provide the exact details and steps for this activity urgently, as need to do this on my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

3. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

4. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

5. AIX

Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi, I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over) Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies

6. AIX

Create new Volume Group

Good afternoon all, I'll probably confuse everyone as I'm a Windows guy dealing with AIX 6.1 and can't quite figure out how to do something. I have a P520 server running 2 LPARs and we have an IVM (not HMC).Within the IVM under Virtual Storage Management, when I check the Physical Volumes, I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spellbound
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

10. AIX

Need help on Volume group for AIX 6.1

Please let me know which volume group will be suitable for creation of 5 TB for datavg norma,big,scalable (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)