Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limit the number of characters in bash output Post 302920793 by Don Cragun on Monday 13th of October 2014 01:15:53 AM
Old 10-13-2014
Or more simply, with any POSIX conforming shell (including bash and ksh):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for VAR in "a-very-very-very-long-crazy-filename.jpg" "short.jpg" "medium-length.txt"
do	if [ ${#VAR} -gt 17 ]
	then	printf 'Processing %.14s...\n' "$VAR"
	else	printf 'Processing %s\n' "$VAR"
	fi
done

which produces the output:
Code:
Processing a-very-very-ve...
Processing short.jpg
Processing medium-length.txt

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit of no of characters PER LINE in a unix file

Hi , Whats the limit of characters PER LINE in a unix file , allowed for editing..sort , cut , sed , awk etc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohapatra
5 Replies

2. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of long limit

Hi Hi! I'm currently using AIX 5.2 and would like to know where can i find to see that there's a restriction on the number of login times a user can have. Example, I want give a 2 login per user but some one to give 3 login and some one have to give unlit login time (without logging off the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herath
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to limit number of Commands

Is there a way that I can limit number of commands that one user can run during period of time. For example Max 10 commands per senconds.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winger0608
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

cron 80 characters limit

Hello everyone. I am trying to set up a monitor based on a "top" command statistic as follows: top -bc -n1 > output.txt I've put this command into a small script which is called by a cron... but there is something strange happening: the cron is limiting the output to output.txt to 80... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartinF
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit the number of characters in a bash output

I have a script that outputs the weather on two lines. If possibly I would like to set a character limit on them Currently it outputs something like but I would like to limit the lines so appends an ellipsis if nescessary: This is the script #! /bin/bash curl -s --connect-timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit reoccurrance of characters in lines

Hey guys and gals, Working on a script to limit the reoccurrance of characters in a line. sed "/\(.\).*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1.*1/d" -i file.txt .. To limit character reoccurance with 1x, 2x, 3x etc. However I would like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Number of files

hi guys how can i limit number of files in a disk or partition ? or how can i make a limit to inode number for a disk or partition ? ext3 or ext4 file system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of characters of wc -l output?

I want count number of characters / find the length of the 'wc -l' output This is the command bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l 830752 So final out I want is 6 i.e lenght of 830752 I tried with awk bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l | awk '{print length ($0)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies
PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)					      General Commands Manual					     PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
pct-scanner-script - easy scan and create merged DjVu and PDF documents for archiving SYNOPSIS
pct-scanner-script [--help] DESCRIPTION
pct-scanner-script is a bash script and configuration system to easily scan documents and create a digital archiving. It can create DjVu PDF and JPEG outputs, in merged and individual files. It also has a configuration system where different configurations can be defined, making it easy to switch between configurations. Please use pct-scanner-script --help to find all program options, the complete help, and all examples. Features: - auto archiving in merged and individual DjVu, PDF, and JPEG files - auto and manual resume when scanning somehow fails - cascading configuration system, for easy customizing - easy command-line-style bash program, with useful options - archiving made possible with both adf and flatbed scanners - built for productivity and daily use - uses bash, scanadf and other mainstream processing tools - multilanguage commandline output OPTIONS
-h, --help, -? Show summary of options, help, and examples. DEBUGGING
This program is a helper script to easy scan and automated digital document archiving for normal and adf scanners. You can debug this script by running it as bash -x pct-scanner-script [options]. The script is just a nice wrapper for the scanadf, DjVu and PDF tools. SEE ALSO
scanadf(1), AUTHOR
pct-scanner-script and this manual page are written by: Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>. March 31, 2009 PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)