Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find the timestamp difference between two different colums in a file Post 302920664 by DGPickett on Friday 10th of October 2014 04:56:47 PM
Old 10-10-2014
I am struck by the lack of date for the second time, but I guess if we go negative just add a day.

If you add ':' and '/' to $IFS you can parse this in shell usng 'while read y mo d x h m s h2 m2 s2 y' and calculate in '((...))'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell] How make colums in text file ??

hi, i have little pb, i would like make a colums, but my server not recongize "\t" or i write wrong.... and iam little noobs and no know awk... #!/bin/ksh #---------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Fichiers : ctrl.sh et ctrl2005.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parola
6 Replies

2. AIX

Unix shell scripting to find latest file having timestamp embedded...

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RCS - Find difference between 2 different versions of a file

Hi, I have a c file in my repository. We are using RCS(Revision Control System) to control and manage the versions. I need to find 1. Difference between the current version with a different version 2. Difference between any two different versions of a file. Ex Difference between 1.14 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelangovan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find difference in file column...

Hi All, i have a file that is tab delimited. i need help to find the rows which are having same price based on the site code but some times, there are difference so i need to find only the records which are different in all site code. Dept Sec Barcode 10001 10002 10003 10004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file size difference in two files using awk

Hi, Could anyone help me to solve this problem? I have two files "f1" and "f2" having 2 fields in each, a) file size and b) file name. The data are almost same in both the files except for few and new additional lines. Now, I have to find out and print the output as, the difference in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging the colums in a tab delimited file

I want to rearrange some of my columns in my dat file; how do i do this using a script Suppose, I have an input file like this: BASENAME STREETTYPE PREFIX SUFFIX HOUSENUMBER BUILDUP ORDER8 ORDER2 ORDER1 ISOCOUNTRYCODE POSTALCODE SILVER LAKE RD NW 1135 NEW BRIGHTON RAMSEY MINNESOTA USA 55112... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading colums from a text file

Hi all, I have a text file that has (4) columns. There are about 300 lines on this file. It is a plain text file. I am looking to write a simple script that will read each line from the file and generate another text file. The file looks something like this: These are the columns: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamw
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX utility to find difference in folder, file and contents of file against a base version

Hi, I am trying to find out whether there are any Unix utilities that compares folders, files and contents within the file and provides a comprehensive report. The comparison can be against base version of a folder and file with content. Can you please let me know of such a utility? Thanks,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sripathi_ks
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk code to find difference in second file which is not present in first file .

Hi All, I want to find difference between two files and output only lines which are not present in second file .I am using awk and I am getting only the first difference but I want to get all the lines which are not present in file2 .Below is the code I am using . Please help to get the desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasrao
7 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)