Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP UX 10.20 E9000 System Full? Post 302920593 by gull04 on Friday 10th of October 2014 10:22:33 AM
Old 10-10-2014
Hi,

It should be OK to delete /var/mail/root - but you might want to have a look at it's contents first and check what has generated it.

Just type "mail" as the root user and you can have a quick look at the contents of the mails. If you are not interested in the contents then just type;
Code:
root@sys # >/var/mail/root

or
Code:
cp /dev/null /var/mail/root

As I said earlier it is most probably output from cron or other system utilities.

Regards

Dave
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file system full

When I try to log in as root I get the following message realloccg /: file system full sendmail :NO Queue:low on space (have 0,SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopeless
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Full File System

Hi All, There was a background process running on a Solaris 2.8 machine, and appeared to have filled all available disk-space. I done a killall, and upon re-booting found that the file system had filled up, and will not boot as normal as a result. For example, I'm getting /usr/adm/messages: No... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
8 Replies

3. Solaris

File system full?

Hi, I just started working with UNIX on an old semi-fossilized Sun workstation which I use to process LOTS of images,however, I just started to get an error message that the file system is full and then my shell tool or/and text editor freeze up. Help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bend
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Full file system?

I read the sticky and thought of a script I use on a regular basis. Since unless you patch/upgrade the df command on solaris you have a very tought time teling how full the system truly is. Output looks like $ biggest.sh /tmp Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyerder
0 Replies

5. Solaris

file system full

I am receving following Error message in /var/adm/messages "NOTICE: alloc: /: file system full" Disk space usage is as beklow: df -k $ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 76678257 56962561 18948914 76% / /proc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
8 Replies

6. Solaris

full system backup

I have unix server with OS 5.8 ,,, I tried ufsdump 0ua -f /dev/rmt/0 / to perform full system backup on tape but I failed could any one give a procedure for full system backup on solaris machine using tapes??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm00123
1 Replies

7. Solaris

file system full

hello Even though I am not out of inodes or of space, the /var/adm/messages shows messages: file system full I am doing now fcsk -m (400G) and I am still waiting to see the fragmentation results (should I add another option to df to have a faster output?) Do you have any other hints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

File system full, but not really.

Hey all, What do you think mostly happened in the following situation? I have a Red Hat 5.5 server. Someone, somehow, managed to get two .nfs000.... type files that totaled over a terabyte in size. I removed them and thought things were back to normal. Then I started getting complains from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geelsu
2 Replies
AMTOC(8)						  System Administration Commands						  AMTOC(8)

NAME
amtoc - generate TOC (Table Of Contents) for an Amanda run SYNOPSIS
amtoc [-a] [-i] [-t] [-f file] [-s subs] [-w] [--] logfile DESCRIPTION
Amtoc generates a table of contents for an Amanda run. It's a perl script (if you don't have perl, install it first!). OPTIONS
-a The output file name will be label-of-the-tape.toc in the same directory as logfile. -i Display help about amtoc. -t Generate the output in tabular form. -f file Write the output to a file ('-' for stdout). -s subs Evaluate the output file name from subs, with $_ set to label-of-the-tape. The -a option is equivalent to -s 's/$_/.toc/'. -w Separate tapes with form-feeds and display blank lines before totals. -- Marks the last option so the next parameter is the logfile. logfile (use '-' for stdin) OUTPUT FORMAT
The standard output has five fields separated by two spaces: # Server:/partition date level size[Kb] 0 daily-05: 19991005 - - 1 cuisun15:/cuisun15/home 19991005 1 96 2 cuinfs:/export/dentiste 19991005 1 96 ... 103 cuisg11:/ 19991005 0 4139136 103 total: - - 16716288 In tabular format (-t), this would look like: # Server:/partition date lev size[Kb] 0 daily-05: 19991005 - - 1 cuisun15:/cuisun15/home 19991005 1 96 2 cuinfs:/export/dentiste 19991005 1 96 ... 103 cuisg11:/ 19991005 0 4139136 103 total: - - 16716288 USAGE
The easiest way to use it is to run amtoc right after amdump in the cron job: amdump daily ; logdir=`amgetconf daily logdir` ; log=`ls -1t $logdir/log.*.[0-9] | head -1` ; amtoc -a $log which will generate /usr/local/etc/amanda//daily/tape_label.toc. You may also want to call amtoc after an amflush. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8), amflush(8), amgetconf(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Nicolas Mayencourt <Nicolas.Mayencourt@cui.unige.ch> University of Geneva/Switzerland Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMTOC(8)