Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create an incremental tar
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create an incremental tar Post 302920493 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 9th of October 2014 03:46:05 PM
Old 10-09-2014
Put complete names in the file like a relative path from a starting directory.
Code:
./path/to/fname

Or a full path
Code:
/directory/path/to/fname

This is efficient in that it invokes tar once. And simply writes to the current end of the tar file. The tarfile must exist for this work.

Code:
my_tar=/tmp/mytar.tar
touch $my_tar                      # create the file if needed
cd /starting/directory
tar -rvf $my_tar `cat /path/to/list_of_files.txt`

tar usually has a -u option (update). Try to avoid it, because it is sloooow. -r is a simpler way to keep the most recent copy of a file.

Let's say you want files just modified in the last 24 hours, here all put together.
Code:
cd /starting/directory
find . -mtime -1 > /path/to/list_of_files.txt
my_tar=/tmp/mytar.tar
touch $my_tar                      # create the file if needed
tar -rvf $my_tar `cat /path/to/list_of_files.txt`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar - incremental backup

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make incremental tar archives of a folder for an example. On the box I use is UNIX AIX installed. I tried some sample codes I found on several web pages but with no success. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please write some sample code to make incremental tar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funky_ass
0 Replies

2. SCO

Incremental Backup using TAR in sco Openserver 5.0

Incremental Backup using TAR in sco Openserver 5.0 Dear all I am using sco openserver 5.0. I wanted to take backup of two folder (each 600 MB size) with lot of files. I used to take backup using tar command daily using a script. But the same takes more time. Is there any way to take backup... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

tar says: cannot create

Hello, I'm quite new to HP-UX and I stumbeled upon some strange behaviour from tar. I have a script like this: find -mtime $days -type f|xargs tar cvf tarfile.tar and it make me a tar file with files that has been changed in $days. When i run 'tar tf tarfile.tar' it give me output like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oey2000
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Do incremental backup without tar files up

I'm trying to do a incremental backup for a big NFS. Since space is not an issue, I don't want to compress them or end up with a big tarball for full backup( and a series of small tarballs for incremental backup). Basically I want the TAR backup/restore functionality but not TAR files up.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create rpm from tar.gz?

I m planning to use puppet to implement organizational linux hardening policies across the linux servers. To begin with i have downloaded. puppet-2.7.1.tar.gz and tried some basic configuration to get start with puppet. Now i want to roll out the puppet but before that i would like to make... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file

Following are the list of files available in the dataout directory a1.txt.gz a2.txt.gz b3.txt.gzStep 1: now the tar file needs to be created as follows. tar -cvf ab.tar *.gzAll the files with extn .gzg has to be bundled in the tar file. Once the tar file is created, the files which are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Tar files

Hi, the folder /home/nandy/test will have two files called notepad1 nodepad2 when i issued /home/nandy/test> tar -cvf componse.tar ./notepad1 ./notepad2 and no error /home/nandy/test> tar -cvf nan.tar . --> this creates nan.tar with the below message nan.tar same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incremental Backup using tar for more than one path

Hi everyone; I need to create a shell script for full and incremental backup purposes. for incremental backup only for one folder (test1) located in /home/test1 syntax below works fine and have no problem: tar -cvf /home/backup/backup-0.tar.gz -g /home/test1/test.snar /home/test Problem is here... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: momed131
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Tar ball

Hi Team, Following unix command is throwing error. Can anyone please help me to fix the issue? tar -cvf /aa/bb/cc/tarball1.tar /x/y/z1/abc.ksh /x/y/z2/pqr.txt /x/y/z3/lmn.tmp Error message thrown: tar: Removing leading `/' from member names OS: uname -a Linux xyz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies