Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash not equal string comparison Post 302920444 by cokedude on Thursday 9th of October 2014 12:04:49 PM
Old 10-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavinderSingh13
Hi cokedude,
Could you please try following.

Code:
while [[ "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" !~ "Semaphore" ]]; do
    echo "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" 
done 
echo 
exit 0

Thanks,
R. Singh
This won't work Smilie.

Code:
$ bash ./whilee1
./whilee1: line 2: conditional binary operator expected
./whilee1: line 2: syntax error near `!~'
./whilee1: line 2: `while [[ "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" !~ "Semaphore" ]]; do'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay Hegde
For me what he tried looks right, but unfortunately he is comparing contents are not equal to a fixed string, so caught inside infinite loop.

---------- Post updated at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:04 PM ----------

Something like this should work I guess

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while [[ "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" != *"Semaphore"* ]]; do
    echo "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')"

done

echo 
exit 0

I am bit confused with the contents

I tested like this, as soon as count reaches 500 it creates file and breaks while loop

Code:
#!/bin/bash

i=0
while [[ "$( ls )" != *"akshay"* ]]; do
    echo $i
    [ $i -eq 500 ] && touch unix.com_akshay_unix.com
i=$((i+1))
done

echo "released"

Is there a trick to get this to work?

Code:
$ while [[ "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" != *"Semaphore"* ]]; do
>     echo "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')"
> 
> done

$ bash ./whilee1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date comparison in bash

Hi I have this simple script: #!/bin/bash date1=2009:07:15:12:36 date2=2009:07:15:12:16 echo $date1 echo $date2 datediff= #datediff=date1-date2 echo datediff is$datediff How do i return the difference in seconds? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: carp.dk
6 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Date comparison with 'string date having slashes and time zone' in Bash only

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have standard web server log file. It contains different columns (like IP address, request result code, request type etc) including a date column with the format . I have developed a log analysis command line utility that displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TariqYousaf
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison using bash

I have a program to create a directory if not present. Here is the program. FYI: Directory name format: YYYY_MM_DD #!/bin/bash date=`date +%Y_%m_%d` presence=$(ls -lrt /TS_File/ | grep "$date" | awk '{print $9}') if then mkdir /TS_File/$date else echo "Unable to Create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare particular string, if it is equal put into a new file

Hi, I have a file (sample.txt) this file contains below text. ./au ./11.5.0 ./11.5.0/admin ./11.5.0/admin/driver ./po ./11.5.0 ./11.5.0/admin ./11.5.0/admin/driver ./xxsbx/11.5.0/java/src ./xxsbx/11.5.0/lib ./xxsel ./xxsel/11.5.0 ./xxsel/11.5.0/admin ./zfa ./zfa/11.5.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK splitting a string of equal parts of 500 chars

Hi , can someone help me how to make an AWK code for splitting a string of equal parts of 500 chars in while loop? Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies