Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I get variable defined in BASH subshell outside? Post 302920409 by vbe on Thursday 9th of October 2014 10:04:09 AM
Old 10-09-2014
Using file descriptors perhaps?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as: echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over? I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Variable Value defined in a Script

Hi , I had a script in which there is a variable $LOG defined and I want to check where that variable is getting value from, is there a way I can check for that variable and it's value if it is defined in some other script function or script . I checked using command env and also export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somu_june
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding WHERE an environment variable is defined.

HI. I had an environment variable defined in my .bash_profile file and I deleted it. I opened a new terminal and looked inside .bash_profile and it's not there but when I type printenv MYCONFIG it reutrns what the value used to be in my .bash_profile still!! I did a grep for MYCONFIG and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a subshell to the parent shell?

A not-too-ugly solution to this classic problem... #!/bin/bash mknod fifo p ( echo 'value' > fifo & ) VARIABLE=`cat fifo` rm fifo Whatdcha think? Good? No good? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vomv1988
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite "while" loop subshell loses current date variable

I have a simple script to log network connectivity to a set of systems. However, as expected the date appended to the log never changes because the new variable is lost when the loop starts again. Can someone clue me in on how to get around this issue? #!/bin/bash LOG=/tmp/netlog... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: use variable defined in begin

Hi there, I'm working with file more than 400K lines, 60 columns. Column count is going to be multiple of 12: 60, 12, 72 or so. NF/12 gives me on how many iterations I've to do to check certain value. For example: 7, 14th if only 24 columns in file. 7th, 14th and 21st if 36 columns in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
6 Replies
EDIT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
edit-patch, add-patch - tool for preparing patches for Debian source packages SYNOPSIS
edit-patch path/to/patch add-patch path/to/patch DESCRIPTION
edit-patch is a wrapper script around the Quilt, CDBS, and dpatch patch systems. It simplifies the process of preparing and editing patches to Debian source packages and allows the user to not have to be concerned with which patch system is in use. Run from inside the root directory of the source package, edit-patch can be used to edit existing patches located in debian/patches. It can also be used to incorporate new patches. If pointed at a patch not already present, it will copy the patch to debian/patches in the correct format for the patch system in use. Next, the patch is applied and a subshell is opened in order to edit the patch. Typing exit or pressing Ctrl-d will close the subshell and launch an editor to record the debian/changelog entry. edit-patch is integrated with the Bazaar and Git version control systems. The patch will be automatically added to the tree, and the debian/changelog entry will be used as the commit message. If no patch system is present, the patch is applied inline, and a copy is stored in debian/patches-applied. add-patch is the non-interactive version of edit-patch. The patch will be incorporated but no editor or subshell will be spawned. AUTHORS
edit-patch was written by Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@canonical.com>, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@canonical.com>, and David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com>. This manual page was written by Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities EDIT-PATCH(1)