Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux Post 302920370 by cero on Thursday 9th of October 2014 04:27:19 AM
Old 10-09-2014
This is just a wild guess - I can not reproduce your findings on my systems and I have no gedit available.
vi usually creates a swap file which you work on instead of the original file. Maybe your vi-implementation replaces the original file with the swap file. vim 7.3 offers the -n flag to disallow the creation of the swap file (:set uc=0 should do the same).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find out pathname from inode number

Hi all when I execute pmap command on one of my daemon process, I am able to see the following output. Address Kbytes RSS Anon Locked Mode Mapped File 00010000 40 40 - - r-x-- irs026bmd 00028000 56 56 16 - rwx-- irs026bmd 00036000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of Inode on a disk

How we can know number of inode present in my Disk including free and occupied. Is there any tool or program to know how much free inode are there in inode free list . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recreating a deleted hardlink to a file if I know the inode number

At risk of twisting the rules to nearly the point of breaking (if you think this goes too far mods, I apologise and accept that this should be deleted), I'm hoping someone might be able to cast a little light on the following problem regarding hard links to files. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to increase or decrease inode number of the particular UFS filesystem

Hi Gurus I want to know the command & tips regarding, how to increase or decrease inode number of the particular ufs filesystem. Is it possible to do it in a live/production environment. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number?

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number. i can use the command "istat" to get the inode number of the file. # istat /proc//fd/x If this file has been deleted,but the process of this file has not been closed and handle has not been released ,so this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file without changing inode number

Hi all, I am struggling to change the content of a file without changing the inode number. The exact issue is as below. I have a file name test.bak which has 100 lines of text. I am trying to to delete the first 90 lines of the text in the file. I know that using sed/awk/head/tail I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishkmrv
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Retreive deleted file name if you having inode number

Some one please help me to find deleted file name, if I am having inode number in Solaris without using any 3rd party tool. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
3 Replies
allocate_fs_swapmap(5)						File Formats Manual					    allocate_fs_swapmap(5)

NAME
allocate_fs_swapmap - determines when swapmap structures are allocated for filesystem swap VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable is used to determine whether to allocate all needed filesystem swap structures during the initialization of the filesystem swap device or wait until they are needed. Pre-allocation of all filesystem swap structures upon initialization saves time during later usage of the filesystem swap, and prevents later allocation failure due to physical memory contention. Dynamic allocation decreases the memory footprint of the filesystem swap system. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Systems under heavy memory load may not be able to acquire enough memory to hold the swap mapping structures for an addition of file system swap. These calls to add swap would fail with the error though presumably they would be retried. Frequent failure on file system swap addition with would merit enabling this tunable. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? All the swap map structures for each file system swap device would be preallocated during swap initialization at kernel boot, increasing the memory footprint of the kernel. The amount of increase depends on the number and size of file system swap devices. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Systems with limited memory available to the kernel that also have limited use of file system swap devices should disable this tunable to decrease kernel memory usage. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? File system swap additions may fail with when memory contention is high. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters allocate_fs_swapmap(5)