Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using sed to replace a range of number Post 302920336 by jimmyf on Thursday 9th of October 2014 12:56:10 AM
Old 10-09-2014
Using sed to replace a range of number

Trying to use SED to replace numbers that fall into a range but can't seem to get the logic to work and am wondering if SED will do this. I have a file with the following numbers
Code:

. For the numbers that are greater than zero and less than 25, SED would add the word range after the number. Output would look something like this:
Code:
 3 range 
20 range
5 range

. Have tried variations of this:
Code:
sed 's/[0-25]/range/g' file

. Can't get this logic to work. Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to find, manipulate and replace a number

Hi, Im very new to the world of sed so I'm really not even sure if this is possible. What i need to do is read from a flat file and every time i see this line: VAL=123,456 I need to change 456 to 457 for every occurence of this line in the file. The numbers 123 and 456 are different for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LT_2008
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a range of text with sed or awk?

Howdy! I'm trying to automate editing of a configuration file (custom.conf for GDM). I need to find every line between a line that starts with "" and the next line that starts with "", I want to preserve that line, but then delete all the lines in that configuration section and then insert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TXTad
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to replace second number in a random string

I need a sed line that will take STDM111 and change it to STDM161 the STDM will always be constant but the 3 numbers after will be random, I just need it to always replace the middle number with 6 regardless of what the numbers are. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a null from grep to a number 0 using sed

Hi I have a file which contains count for a code. Code is first field and count is second field. I am trying to search the code and get correspond count. File look like this. temp.out A 10 B 20 I am searching for C , if C is not there I will have get value 0. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a pattern in a file with a generated number using sed or awk

my file has thousands of line but let me show what i want to achieve... here is one line from that file cat fileName.txt (2,'','user3002,user3003','USER_DATA_SINGLE',1,0,0,'BACKUP',2,NULL,0,450,NULL,NULL,'','2011-05-10... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed print range of lines between line number and pattern

Hi, I have a file as below This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> This is the line three This is the line four <\XMLTAG> Output of the SED command need to be as below. This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> Please do the need to needful to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RMN
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace the matching pattern with equal number of spaces

Hi I have written a shell script which used sed code below sed -i 's/'"$Pattern"'/ /g' $FileName I want to count the length of Pattern and replace it with equal number of spaces in the FileName. I have used $(#pattern) to get the length but could not understand how to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace range of characters in each line

Hi, I'm trying to replace a range of characters by their position in each line by spaces. I need to replace characters 95 to 145 by spaces in each line. i tried below but it doesn't work sed -r "s/^(.{94})(.{51})/\ /" inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt can someone please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
3 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)