Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting and replacing according to block values Post 302920333 by senhia83 on Wednesday 8th of October 2014 10:27:47 PM
Old 10-08-2014
Formatting and replacing according to block values

please consider the following file, there are repeated blocks of m values, and nested s values within. there are 2 columns (cols 3 and 4)associated with each m,s combination. All s1 rows must get a value of a(col 3 in output), all s2 values must get a value of b(col 3 in output). If s1 and s2 rows have the same value as in m3 in the data, the block is ignored.The rest of the s values within an m block has to be classified into a, b or c(if 3rd and 4th cols dont match either s1 or s2)

this is only an example, there are ~100k of data points in the original file. i`ll be obliged if helped with a solution code. i`m running cygwin on a windows machine with 8gb ram.

Code:
Input

m1,s1,x1,x1
m1,s2,x2,x2
m1,s3,x2,x2
m1,s4,x1,x1
m1,s5,x1,x2
m2,s1,y2,y2
m2,s2,y1,y1
m2,s3,y2,y1
m2,s4,y2,y1
m2,s5,y1,y1
m3,s1,y2,y2
m3,s2,y2,y2
m3,s3,y2,y1
m3,s4,y2,y1
m3,s5,y1,y1

Output

m1,s1,a
m1,s2,b
m1,s3,b
m1,s4,a
m1,s5,c
m2,s1,a
m2,s2,b
m2,s3,c
m2,s4,c
m2,s5,b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a line that may have different values on different servers

Replace disable_functions in php.ini with value of your choice which may be different on different servers ================================================ -bash-2.05b# grep disable_functions /usr/local/lib/php.ini disable_functions = 1 2 e weq t ret rye y etyhty rt et e ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting values in byte

Hello Does a command already exist for formatting numbers in byte for example? Just thought I would ask if there is a function for it or if I should write one myself, don't want to reinvent the wheel. Example: 10 = 10 B 1234 = 1.234 kB 1500000 = 1.5 MB Thanks by advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing File values

Currently I am using the tr command in 3 scenarios for a ksh script. 1) Replacing any spaces in the file with a ~ tr ' ' '~' <$orignalFile> $newFile 2) After certain processing is done at the end of the scirpt i convert the Tilde back to spaces tr ' ' '~' <$newFile> $newFile2 3) Last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgjdv
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string values from a File

I want to replace string values from a file to a file For eg : File1 has 30 lines of string with values, those specific values needs to be changed in file2 and remaining values in file2 should be as it is. For example: From file (File1) cluster.name=secondaryCluster To replace File... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing negative values in a column with zero

Hi, i need help on replacing negative values in a column with 0. any quick fix on this? thanks much. for instance, input: 1 2.3 -0.4 -25 12 13 45 -12 desired output 1 2.3 0 0 12 13 45 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing column values

hi all , ( perl) i am trying to replace jst one column in a file for eg month dayofweek dealar car-name jan thurs mercedes c300 feb wed lexus is300 all this data is in a master file and i want to replace jan with 1 feb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: technoman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing values in a column if they equal a certain value

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where some lines have the string "NA" in the second column. For these lines, I want to replace NA with the value in the first column, the symbol underscore followed by the value in the fourth column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in replacing column values

Hello All, I am having the file as below .I need to replace column 9-12 with some other values. In the below file I need to replace 1509 to 1508 and 1508 to 1507 .Can you please help me in how to do that Thanks, Arun ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing values inside a file.

Good day guys, I'm having trouble in creating a logic when it comes to replacing the values inside a file. I tried using sed command but it just doesn't work the way I want it to be. Here is what I'm trying to achieve. If my input file contains the values below. NAME++GUEST1 ++GUESS2++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
3 Replies
menu_format(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions					      menu_format(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_format, set_menu_format - set and get maximum numbers of rows and columns in menus SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_menu_format(MENU *menu, int rows, int cols); void menu_format(MENU *menu, int *rows, int *cols); DESCRIPTION
set_menu_format() sets the maximum number of rows and columns of items that may be displayed at one time on a menu. If the menu contains more items than can be displayed at once, the menu will be scrollable. menu_format() returns the maximum number of rows and columns that may be displayed at one time on menu. rows and cols are pointers to the variables used to return these values. RETURN VALUES
set_menu_format() returns one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. E_BAD_ARGUMENT An incorrect argument was passed to the routine. E_POSTED The menu is already posted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.11 31 Dec 1996 menu_format(3CURSES)